Summary: Match 8 – Bismah Maroof and Javeria Khan lead Pakistan to Historic victory against West Indies

It was a lopsided affair at Canberra on Wednesday when Pakistan took on West Indies as the former went on to win the match comprehensively by eight wickets.

Bismah Maroof celebrates after winning it for Pakistan. Pic Credits: ICC
Bismah Maroof celebrates after winning it for Pakistan. Pic Credits: ICC

Early in the day, West Indies won the toss and elected to bat first. After losing opening bat Hayley Matthews for a first-ball duck, the Caribbeans had to fight hard to consolidate. Skipper Stafanie Taylor (43) and wicket-keeper Shemaine Campbelle (43) stitched a solid 63-run partnership to take their team over the 120-run mark. The otherwise power-packed West Indian batting was tamed by the disciplined Pakistani bowling. Diana Baig, Aiman Anwer, and Nida Dar bowled well as a bowling unit scalping two wickets apiece. Anam Amin too joined the party picking up 1-19 in her four overs.

Chasing a modest 125, Pakistan made a mockery of West Indian bowling as Bismah Maroof and co. achieved the target quite comfortably, winning the match by eight wickets and 10 balls to spare. Muneeba Ali (25) and Javeria Khan (35) gave the perfect start to the chase as the duo built a solid 58-run partnership in 7.2 overs. Then, skipper Marof carried on from where Ali left to muscle an unbeaten 39 in the company of Nida Dar who played the perfect second fiddle with 18 off 20. Afy Fletcher and Stafanie Taylor were the wicket-takers for West Indies with one dismissal each. All in all, West Indies had a relative of the day at work and will look to come out strong in the upcoming games to keep their hopes alive in the World T20. Conversely, Pakistan made a solid start to their ICC Women’s World T20 campaign with a thumping win.

Also Read:  Detailed Analysis of Australian squad for Women’s T20 World Cup 2020

West Indies will play its next match against England on Sunday at Sydney, while Pakistan will face off against England on Friday at Canberra.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here