“Bangladesh did their homework against Poonam Yadav,” says Soniya Dabir

Former cricketer Soniya Dabir, who has represented India in 4 women’s one-day international and 13 Twenty20 international matches is part of Female Cricket’s Expert Panel for the upcoming Women’s T20 World Cup 2020. Here’s a quick analysis by Soniya Dabir on India’s team performance after their game against Bangladesh Women.

Another box tick-marked as India win their second consecutive match in the T20 Women’s World Cup 2020, beating Bangladesh by 18 runs.

Forced change as Smriti Mandhana missed out due to viral fever and was replaced by Richa Ghosh another youngster in the team.

India off to a flying start, the entertainment was provided by none other than Shafali Verma. Taniya Bhatia was promoted to open the innings with her. After the flying start, I’m sure India would have liked to continue till the end. Punishing the full toss ball should be done more consistently.

Jemimah Rodrigues batting vs Bangladesh. Pic Credits: ICC
Jemimah Rodrigues batting vs Bangladesh. Pic Credits: ICC

Good batting by Jemimah, she has got amazing bat flow which was seen today when the bowlers let her open the arms. Unnecessary runouts in the middle did cut the momentum but small and a much-needed cameo from Veda Krishnamurthy, in the end, saw the Indian team cross 140 marks.

Even though Richa Ghosh showed positive intent I think they should have sent Veda ahead of her.

In the bowling department, more consistency definitely is required to keep building the pressure. Focus on dot balls and bowling within the stumps should be given importance. The pacers I’m sure would like to use the slower ones more. The magician with the ball Poonam Yadav was once again outstanding. It has become a routine to her, you give her the ball and she gets those wickets for you.

Also Read:  Kimmince will look to fill the big shoes of Perry in the MCG final against India

Superb spell by Shikha Pandey, though Arundhati got those crucial wickets should focus more on bowling tight line and length. Harman was once again good with her bowling changes. Superb Glove work behind he stumps by Taniya Bhatia. She is setting her own standards.

Fielding has been brilliant but in patches, I’m sure the Indian team would want to see more dives and those direct hits.

Indian vs Bangladesh Women's Cricket team
Indian vs Bangladesh Women’s Cricket team. Pic Credits: ICC

One thing noticed today with the Bangladesh team was they rarely stepped out to the spinners, they were happily playing on the backfoot and sweeping, but the experience of Poonam and Shikha hold their nerve and got the team through. Many congratulations to the Indan team!

Team India play their next match against New Zealand on 27th February, 2020

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here