“I’ve never had so much fun in the India team,” says Smriti Mandhana

If you follow our Indian female cricketers on social media (namely Instagram and Twitter), you would know that there’s a very lively atmosphere within the group.

Although, Harmanpreet Kaur led the Indian side is quite young compared to other teams, credits to the members who have contributed and kept everything chill in the dressing room ahead of the super-hyed Women’s T20 World Cup 2020.

Smriti Mandhana. Women's T20 World Cup 2020
Smriti Mandhana. Women’s T20 World Cup 2020

Team India knows how to party and celebrate, and why would they not?

With the likes of Jemimah Rodrigues and Harleen Deol in the side, Harmanpreet Kaur’s team is bustling with youthful and positive energy.

Smriti Mandhana, India’s in-form batter is definitely enjoying the atmosphere.

“You can think of the vibe if you see the age of our team!” said the 23-year-old.

“With that kind of age group, there has to be fun and if there’s no fun there’s something wrong with the girls.”

“It’s been like that for the last one or two years. I won’t say it wasn’t like that in the years before but since the teenagers have come, there is a different energy.

“Young players come into it with fresh thinking, they don’t have anything behind them. They know nothing. Their very different people to we were when we came into the side at 17.

“They are very fearless, they don’t have a lot of pressure on them. They think like it’s any other match and coming into a World Cup, that’s the best thing about them.” Click To Tweet

India also boasts of having 16-year-old Richa Ghosh in the side who was picked up after a remarkable Challenger Series earlier this year in India.

Also Read:  Harmanpreet Kaur to lead team India at ICC Women's T20 World Cup 2020

One player you won’t find getting her dancing shoes on is seamer Shikha Pandey.

“I’ve got two left feet, so there’s no chance I’m joining them!” said the 30-year-old. “I just sing along.”

It seems there’s no danger of a split between young and old, with 27-year-old batter Veda Krishnamurthy loving the ride.

“This group really knows how to have fun,” she said.

“It’s about making the young players feel comfortable and I’ve become one with them. We have a lot of dances, a lot of singing and a lot of things that happen.

“I think we’re the happiest team at the World Cup – although Thailand might give us some competition!”

This article was first published on ICC

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here