Australia post mammoth 305 Runs against West Indies in Semi-Final

On Wednesday, Australia and West Indies locked horns against each other in the first semi-final of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup at the Basin Reserve in Wellington. West Indies won the toss and elected to bowl. The match was reduced to 45 overs per side due to rain.

Australia post mammoth 305 Runs against West Indies in Semi-Final. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Australia post mammoth 305 Runs against West Indies in Semi-Final. PC: ICC/Getty Images

Australia got off to a rollicking start thanks to their devastating opening pair of Alyssa Healy and Rachael Haynes who put together 216 runs in 32.4 overs. The right-hand left-hand combination made life difficult for the West Indians as they not only smashed big shots but also milked ones and twos on a regular basis. In the process, Healy registered her maiden century in World Cups. However, after the loss of Healy (129 runs off 107 balls), Australia lost two quick wickets.

Haynes departed after scoring a delectable 85 off 100 balls and Ashleigh Gardner, who was promoted to number three was sent packing for 12 runs off eight balls. Towards the end, captain Meg Lanning (26 not out off 26 balls) and Beth Mooney (43 not out off 31 balls) stitched a 69-run partnership to take Australia to an ominous score of 3-305 in 45 overs. This is Australia’s second-highest total in this World Cup.

For West Indies, Chinelle Henry was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 2-51 in her nine overs. The right-arm speedster bowled well with the new ball and inside the powerplay. She was well-supported by Shamilia Connell who struck with 1-45 in her eight overs. West Indies used as many as seven bowlers, out of which five went wicket-less. Apart from their dismal bowling performance, West Indies did not have a great outing on the field. They dropped four catches, two each of Healy and Haynes. The dropped catches proved costly for West Indies as Healy went on to score 129 and Haynes mustered 85 runs.

Also Read:  Relief for World Cup teams as New Zealand reduces Quarantine Period from 10 to 7 Days

Australia have set a target of 306 for the West Indies. Can West Indies chase down the target to enter the finals of the World Cup? Or will Australia be able to defend the total and make their way to the finals? Stay tuned to find out.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here