Ellyse Perry’s Semi-Final presence against West Indies still uncertain

The Australian women might have a big blow for the Semi-Finals as there’s a high chance of Ellyse Perry, their premium all-rounder missing out 2022 Women’s World Cup Semi Final match against West Indies at Wellington on Wednesday, March 30th.

Ellyse Perry's Semi-Final presence against West Indies still uncertain. PC:ICC/Getty Images
Ellyse Perry’s Semi-Final presence against West Indies still uncertain. PC:ICC/Getty Images

Perry who bowled just 3 overs against South Africa last Tuesday sat out the rest of the match as she was suffering from back spasms. The all rounder had been dealing with the injury for major part of the tournament and thus missed the last league match against Pakistan which happened on Saturday, March 26th at Christchurch.

Going into Wednesday’s Semi-Final match, Perry on Monday provided her update to ESPN Cricinfo which reads as follows, “My back is doing pretty well. I haven’t done anything cricket-wise since last Tuesday. I have been doing good and hope to get back to things as early as possible. With 2 days remaining, I certainly feel I’ll be able to meet the fitness criteria as my injury is not too serious. Fingers crossed. We’ll be deciding about it by tomorrow. “

Perry who’s had a good world cup so far has scored 146 runs and picked 5 wickets in 6 matches. She was awarded the Player of the Match award for her performance against New Zealand and the West Indies.

When asked about the match against West Indies in the semi-final, Perry said she’s looking for the match as they will be playing a very competitive team who has a good batting lineup. She’s keen to play against Hayley Matthews who’s been their major player and Deandra Dottin who’s unstoppable with the bat when she goes going. She also feels that West Indies post a big challenge as they have their fair share in the world cup finals.

Also Read:  Australian Women's Cricket Contracts for 2024-25 season Announced, Sophie Molineux included

Hayley Matthews Scores Maiden ODI World Cup Century, West Indies put 259 on board. PC: ICC/ Getty Images
Hayley Matthews Scores Maiden ODI World Cup Century, West Indies put 259 on board. PC: ICC/ Getty Images

Speaking on the excitement for the Semis, Perry said “This tournament’s been coming for a little while too, with the delay last year not being able to stage it. So it’s really exciting that we’re finally at this stage of the tournament like we’ve been here for a long time as well if you include the quarantine that we had to do before starting the campaign.

“It’s kind of the reason why you play I suppose at this level is to compete in big events and big moments. So certainly the girls are excited about the match. It’s certainly great to be here. I’m looking forward to it and seeing what we’re capable of.” She added.

Australia will take on West Indies at Wellington in the first Semi-Final on Wednesday, March 30th. Australia has had a great record in the Basin Reserve as they won all their 4 league matches there. They also had bundled out West Indies for 132 during the league stage. Let us see whether the same kind of performance repeats or whether West Indies will surprise them by knocking the Aussies out ending their undefeated streak in the 2022 WC.

Source: Annesha Ghosh / ESPN Cricinfo

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here