Head to Head between India and South Africa Women in ODI World Cup

India v South Africa: Head-to-Head in Women’s ODI World Cup

The last group stage match of the 2022 ICC Women’s World Cup, Match No. 28 is scheduled for Sunday, March 27, and is a BIG decider to fill the last berth to the Semi-Finals. A victory for the Women in Blue will take them to the Semis while a loss would bring an end to their 2022 World Cup campaign. On the other hand, the Momentum Proteas have already booked a ticket to the playoffs, finishing 2nd in the Group Stage.

ODIs played between India & South Africa: 27 (4 in the World Cup)

India: 15 (3 in the World Cup)

South Africa: 11 (1 in the World Cup)

No Result: 1

Let’s have a look at the previous 4 ODI World Cup meetings between the two-:

1. 1997 Women’s World Cup (December 22)

Competing against each other for the first time in Women’s ODI World Cup and that too being the 3rd Quarterfinals of the 1997 World Cup, India’s bowling unit crushed South Africa at just 80 with Daleen Terblanche and Cindy Eksteen being the only double-digit scorers for the Proteas with the knock of 25 and 24 respectively. For India, Deepa Marathe’s spell of 2 wickets with 7 maidens conceding just 4 runs in her 9.1 overs was the best. It was an easy road to the Semi-Finals for India as they got to the target in just 28 overs, winning by 5 wickets.

1. 2000 Women’s World Cup (November 30)

A 3-wicket haul to Purnima Rau giving away 12 runs in her 10 overs spell (6 maidens) and a yet another brilliant spell of 1/5 (2 maidens in 5 overs) from Deepa Marathe restricted South Africa to 128/8 in their 50 overs. Coming to chase a gettable target, Mithali Raj’s Player of the Match knock of unbeaten 69 (95) gave India 8 wickets win with 62 balls to spare.

1. 2005 Women’s World Cup (March 26)

An unbelievable bowling spell from India’s Deepa Marathe taking a 4-wicket haul conceding just 1 run (5 maidens) in her 6 overs saw South Africa crushed down with just 80 on board. Though the Proteas bowlers gave their best with the ball, Alicia Smith led the bowling attack taking a 4-wicket haul giving away 19 runs (1 maiden) in her 10 overs but in the end, India won the match comfortable by 4 wickets just at the halfway mark of the innings (25.5 overs)

1. 2017 Women’s World Cup (July 8)

Registering their 1st ever Women’s ODI World Cup win against India, Skipper Dane van Niekerk’s player of the match all-round performance scoring 57 (66) and taking a 4-wicket haul with the ball guided South Africa to a good total of 273/9 in their 50 overs. The performance with the bat was followed by an impressive one with the ball for the Proteas who bowled out India at 158 despite Deepti Sharma’s 50 and an unbeaten 43 coming from Jhulan Goswami. South Africa won the match by a big margin of 115 runs.

Also Read:  "Sophie Ecclestone is the best spinner in the world in my opinion," says Tammy Beaumont

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here