South Africa edge out Defending Champions England Women by 3 Wickets in a Thriller

On Monday, in the 13th match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, South Africa were chasing 236 in 50 overs against England.

Marizanne Kapp relieved after South Africa beat England in a nail-biting thriller. PC: ICC/Getty Images
Marizanne Kapp relieved after South Africa beat England in a nail-biting thriller. PC: ICC/Getty Images

South Africa did not get off to the best of starts as they lost their attacking opening batter Lizelle Lee (9 runs off 15 balls) in just the sixth over of the innings. Tazmin Brits (23 runs off 46 balls) then joined the other opening batter Laura Wolvaardt stitched a crucial 56-run partnership for the second wicket to lay a solid foundation for the run chase. Captain Sune Luus (36 runs off 49 balls) and all-rounder Marizanne Kapp (32 runs off 42 balls) made some useful contributions with the bat in the middle order. Wolvaardt and Luus put together 73 runs for the third wicket to keep England at bay. Towards the end, wicket-keeper Trisha Chetty (11 not out off 13 balls) and Shabnim Ismail (5 not out off 3 balls), who did not bowl her full quota of 10 overs due to toe injury made sure that she saw her team home with the bat. Wolvaardt top scored with 77 runs off 101 balls and steered South Africa to a three-wicket win with four balls to spare.

For England, right arm speedster Anya Shrubsole was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 2-34 in her nine overs. Shrubsole bowled well with the new ball as she got rid of dangerous Lizelle Lee in the sixth over of the innings. Apart from Lee, she got the better of Marizanne Kapp to give some chance to England. Kate Cross, Sophie Ecclestone, Natalie Sciver and Charlotte Dean were the other wicket-taker for England, who struck with one wicket each. England’s pace sensation Katherine Brunt went wicket-less. England’s fielding was not up to the mark as they dropped a couple of catches of Laura Wolvaardt, who went on to score 77 and they also missed a few stumping chances.

South Africa’s Marizanne Kapp won the player of the match for her match-winning all-round performance. The right arm seamer picked up 5-45 in her 10 overs, including one maiden and with the bat, she mustered 32 runs off 42 balls.

With this win, South Africa have registered their third straight win in their World Cup campaign, while the defending champions England have lost all their three matches in the tournament so far.

England and South Africa will play their next fixtures on March 16 against India and March 17 against New Zealand respectively.

Also Read:  Sophie Ecclestone's 6 Wicket Haul demolish South Africa's batting line-up in Semi-Finals

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here