Fargana Hoque Pinky’s Maiden World Cup Fifty help Bangladesh post 140 against New Zealand

On Monday, Bangladesh and New Zealand locked horns against each other in the fifth match of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup. New Zealand won the toss and elected to bowl first. It was a rain-curtailed affair as the 50-over game was reduced to 27 overs a side.

Fargana Hoque Pinky's Maiden World Cup Fifty help Bangladesh post 140 against New Zealand. PC: Getty Images
Fargana Hoque Pinky’s Maiden World Cup Fifty help Bangladesh post 140 against New Zealand. PC: Getty Images

The World Cup debutants got off to a blistering start as their opening pair of Shamima Sultana (33 runs off 36 balls) and Fargana Hoque stitched a defining partnership of 59 runs in 9.2 overs. Both the batters played some good-looking shots and ran well between the wickets to keep the New Zealanders on toes. After Sultana departed, Bangladesh captain Nigar Sultana walked out in the middle. However, her stay was short-lived as she was sent packing for 11 off 13 by off-spinner Amy Satterthwaite.

Bangladesh’s leading run-getter in ODI format, Rumana Ahmed (1), too could not contribute much with the bat as Satterthwaite castled her in the same over in which she got rid of the Bangladeshi captain. From 58-0 to 81-3, Bangladesh lost the momentum as the White Ferns’ spinners applied some brakes to their scoring. Hoque and Sobhana Mostary (13 runs off 21 balls) came together to put up a partnership but Mostary had to make her way back to the pavilion in the 22nd over. The opening batter Hoque after scoring a delectable 52 off 63 balls was run out by Frankie Mackay off her own bowling. Towards the end, Salma Khatun (9 runs off 10 balls) and Lata Mondal (9 not out off 10 balls) helped Bangladesh to post 140-8 in 27 overs.

For New Zealand, Satterthwaite was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-25 in her five overs. She also completed the feat of 50 ODI wickets. Apart from her, Frances Mackay and Hayley Jensen struck with one wicket apiece. Surprisingly, Lea Tahuhu and the Kerr sisters; Amelia Kerr and Jess Kerr, who are considered to be New Zealand’s genuine wicket-takers went wicket-less in the match. There were three run outs in the Bangladeshi innings, out of which two involved Mackay.

Also Read:  Preview: 4th ODI – India vs New Zealand Women | Fantasy XI | Players to Watch | Live Streaming

Bangladesh have set a target of 141 for New Zealand. Can the hosts chase down the target in 27 overs and register their first win in their World Cup campaign? Or will the World Cup debutants Bangladesh have the last laugh? Stay tuned to find out.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here