As a bowling group, I think we got some great lessons: Coach Matthew Mott

Australia is the most successful team in Women’s World Cup history with 6 title wins and they come into the tournament as one of the favorites. But, the team had mixed results in the warm-up matches as they suffered a huge defeat in the 2nd warm-up match against New Zealand.

Suzie Bates and Amelia Kerr help NZ beat Australia by 9 Wickets. PC: ICC / Getty Images
Suzie Bates and Amelia Kerr help NZ beat Australia by 9 Wickets. PC: ICC / Getty Images

Australia scored 321 as Healy, Lanning, Mooney, and Gardener scored excellent 50s. New Zealand Captain Sophie Devine scored a match-winning unbeaten 161 and chipped in an unbeaten 206 run partnership with Amelia Kerr who scored 92* and took NZ home by 9 wickets.

Speaking to Laura Jolly of Cricket Australia about the defeat, the Australian coach Matthew Mott said, “Whether we won or lost yesterday, it doesn’t count for a lot. As a bowling group, I think we got some great lessons yesterday, and it does show just how dangerous some teams can be.”

He also added, “I’m not going to hide behind the fact we don’t like losing. No one likes losing. But if you’re going to lose, that’s the match to lose and learn some lessons before we start the ones that count for points.”

While discussing how England will be ready for the first match against them in the world cup, Mott said, “England have shown over a long period of time is that they love tournament play, they turn up at the right times and that’s why they’re the world champions at the moment.”

Also Read:  Complete Squad Analysis of Welsh Fire: The Women’s Hundred 2021

Mott also mentioned that the team had gone low-key and not 100% into warm-up games as the team was coming off a long Women’s Ashes and a ‘dangerous period’ in Mandatory Isolation and Quarantine (MIQ).

He also added, “The one thing we’re were mindful of was not going too hard and picking up some injuries. We want to make sure that we’re starting to play our best cricket now. I was ecstatic that everyone got a good hit at warm-up games. The players feel fresh, that’s been the feedback so far that they feel really good and ready to go.”

Australia is expected to make a huge impact in the world cup like always. They start their campaign against England on March 5th at Hamilton.

Australia World Cup schedule:

March 5th, 2022 – Australia vs England – Hamilton- 6.30 AM IST

March 8th 2022 – Australia vs Pakistan – Mount Maunganui – 6.30 AM IST

March 13th 2022 – Australia vs New Zealand – Wellington – 3.30 AM IST

March 15th 2022 – Australia vs West Indies – Wellington – 3.30 AM IST

March 19th 2022 – Australia vs India – Auckland – 6.30 AM IST

March 22nd 2022 – Australia vs South Africa – Wellington – 3.30 AM IST

March 25th 2022 – Australia vs Bangladesh – Wellington – 3.30 AM IST

Australia World Cup squad:

Meg Lanning (c) Rachael Haynes (vc), Darcie Brown, Nicola Carey, Ashleigh Gardner, Grace Harris, Alyssa Healy, Jess Jonassen, Alana King, Beth Mooney, Tahlia McGrath, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Annabel Sutherland, Amanda-Jade Wellington.

Also Read:  Beth Mooney out of Women's Ashes Series due to Fractured Jaw

Traveling reserves: Heather Graham, Georgia Redmayne

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around the Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022.

Dhanush Lavanya

I’m a Content Writer, Podcaster and Presenter. I’ve written 100+ articles across various sports and produced 50+ Podcast episodes. You can find my podcast “The Off Stump” on Spotify.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here