“I want female cricketers to become household names” : Mithali Raj

Mithali Raj is making a record 6th appearance in the 2022 Women’s World Cup. As this tournament will be the final chapter of her legendary career, the Indian women’s captain is excited and is looking forward to finally lifting the elusive ICC Women’s World Cup.

Indian Bowlers celebrating a wicket during ODI series against New Zealand. PC: PhotosportNZ / Twitter
Indian Bowlers celebrating a wicket during ODI series against New Zealand. PC: PhotosportNZ / Twitter

When asked about the team performance over the last year, Mithali said in an ICC interview, “ The batting performance was a concern during the England and South Africa tours. But, the batters have performed better against Australia and here in New Zealand as they’ve consistently scored 250+ runs.

As Mithali was asked about her preparation going into the world cup, she said that she’s been focusing on the basics and making sure her basics are strong while playing in big matches and handling high-pressure situations.

Mithali Raj. PC: ICC
Mithali Raj. PC: ICC

As women’s cricket has seen a huge boost in popularity post the 2017 WC, when asked about the growth in Women’s Cricket, she said, “ I truly hope to see the fan base improve and increase. I want female cricketers to become household names. The young boys and girls must idolize the women cricketers as they’ve worked a lot and gone through their struggles.”

When asked about the batting strategy and going with 3 left-handers in the top 7, Mithali said, “It’s good to have left-handers in the sides as they provide a left-right batting combination which is going to be tough for the opposition captain and the bowlers.”

When asked about the players she’s looking forward to in the world cup, she said, “I want all my players to bring out their best and do well so that India gets an opportunity to hold the elusive World Cup.”

Also Read:  Harmanpreet Kaur joins the Elite 100 ODI list

As she’s made a full circle starting in the 2000 edition World Cup here in New Zealand, Mithali Raj while reflecting on her career said, “Well, I’ve come a long way from the 2000 World Cup here in New Zealand which I missed due to typhoid. Here I am once again, it’s a full circle and I’ll be looking forward to finishing the journey.”

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

Dhanush Lavanya

I’m a Content Writer, Podcaster and Presenter. I’ve written 100+ articles across various sports and produced 50+ Podcast episodes. You can find my podcast “The Off Stump” on Spotify.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here