Here’s what all 8 Captains had to say ahead of World Cup 2022?

Australia: Meg Lanning

Meg Lanning. Pic Credits
Meg Lanning. Pic Credits

The Australian captain will be the leader of the pack. In 2020, she led her team to the World T20 title. Come 2022, she will be eyeing the 50-over World Cup. She was a part of the Australian team that won the 2013 World Cup. With an experience of 88 ODIs and close to 4000 ODI runs Australia’s batting will revolve around the captain. She will be playing her third World Cup this year. As a captain, she has led the team in 66 ODIs, won 57 and lost 8. Her win percentage is 87.12.

Ahead of the World Cup, Meg Lanning wrote in her column for the ICC, “A lot of our players were involved in that 2017 World Cup, which didn’t quite end the way we would have liked and I think since then we’ve changed the way we approach and play our cricket and are a lot more positive and willing to take a few more risks and I think that suited our game style. Being the No.1 ranked team, we go in there with a lot of confidence, but World Cups are extremely difficult to win.” 

Schedule: Australia in Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

Date Time (IST) Opposition Venue
March 5, 2022 6.30am England Seddon Park, Hamilton
March 8, 2022 6.30am Pakistan Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui
March 13, 2022 3.30am New Zealand Basin Reserve, Wellington
March 15, 2022 3.30am West Indies Basin Reserve, Wellington
March 19, 2022 6.30am India Eden Park, Auckland
March 22, 2022 3.30am South Africa Basin Reserve, Wellington
March 25, 2022 3.30am Bangladesh Basin Reserve, Wellington

Bangladesh: Nigar Sultana

Nigar Sultana Joty to lead Bangladesh
Nigar Sultana Joty to lead Bangladesh

She will captain the Bangladesh team in the World Cup. She is new to captaincy having led the side in just two ODIs and four T20Is. She is a wicket-keeper and a right-handed batter. She has featured in 23 ODIs, scored 376 runs in 20 innings, including two half centuries and accounted for 17 dismissals behind the stumps. She will be playing her first World Cup this year. As a captain, she has led the team in 2 ODIs and has won both the matches. She enjoys a 100 percent success rate.

Ahead of the World Cup, Nigar Sultana wrote in her column for the ICC, “Playing in the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup is a long-awaited dream come true for all of us. We have played three T20 World Cups but have never played an ODI one, so we are very excited and very eager to perform on the biggest stage. We want to make the most of this opportunity and make it count. We have never played against England, Australia or New Zealand in ODIs, so it will be a new experience.”

Schedule: Bangladesh in Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

March 5, 2022 3.30am South Africa University Oval, Dunedin
March 7, 2022 3.30am New Zealand University Oval, Dunedin
March 14, 2022 3.30am Pakistan Seddon Park, Hamilton 
March 18, 2022 3.30am West Indies Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui
March 22, 2022 6.30am India Seddon Park, Hamilton
March 25, 2022 3.30am Australia Basin Reserve, Wellington
March 27, 2022 3.30am England Basin Reserve, Wellington

England: Heather Knight

Heather Knight. Pic Credits: wisden.com
Heather Knight. Pic Credits: wisden.com

The captain of England team is a solid right handed top order batter and more than a handy right arm off spinner. She has featured in 115 ODIs, scored 3250 runs in 110 innings, including 22 half-centuries and two centuries. With the ball, she has 53 ODI wickets in as many innings. She will be playing her third World Cup this year. As a captain, she has led the team in 60 ODIs, won 40 and lost 19. Her win percentage is 67.79.

Ahead of the World Cup, Heather Knight wrote in her column for the ICC, “I still think back to that day at Lord’s and what it meant to lift that trophy. The journey that the women’s game has been on in England and Wales since that day is one I’m hugely proud to be a part of. I sometimes get goosebumps imagining what retaining the trophy would mean to the game back home, to all those young girls, and to each and every one of the players and staff who give everything they have for this team.”

Schedule: England in Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

March 5, 2022 6.30am Australia Seddon Park, Hamilton
March 9, 2022 3.30am West Indies University Oval, Dunedin
March 14, 2022 6.30am South Africa Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui
March 16, 2022 6.30am India Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui
March 20, 2022 3.30am New Zealand Eden Park, Auckland
March 24, 2022 6.30am Pakistan Hagley Oval, Christchurch 
March 27, 2022 3.30am Bangladesh Basin Reserve, Wellington
Also Read:  Preview: 55th Match- Perth Scorchers v/s Hobart Hurricanes, Squads, Head-to-Head, Pitch, Probable Playing XI, Weather Report, Game Prediction, Fantasy Players

India: Mithali Raj

Mithali Raj at a Press Conference. PC: PTI
Mithali Raj at a Press Conference. PC: PTI

The Indian captain is a right handed batter, who can either bat at top of the order or in the middle order. She is the leading run getter in women’s cricket across all formats. She has played 225 ODIs and scored 7623 runs, including 62 half centuries and seven centuries. She will be playing her sixth World Cup this year. She has led India to two World Cup finals; in 2005 and 2017. As a captain, she has led the team in 148 ODIs, won 86 and lost 59. Her win percentage is 59.31.

Ahead of the World Cup, Mithali Raj wrote in her column for the ICC, “I clearly remember the emotions from the final of the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup in 2017, having come so close to winning. The match against England was played in a packed Lord’s stadium and to miss out on that chance is something that will rankle forever. To be recognized on the streets in my country is something I never expected when I appeared in my first World Cup in 2000, also in New Zealand, but that is now so common and shows how much the game has grown in India.”

Schedule: India in Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

March 6, 2022 6.30am Pakistan Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui 
March 10, 2022 6.30am New Zealand Seddon Park, Hamilton
March 12, 2022 6.30am West Indies Seddon Park, Hamilton
March 16, 2022 6.30am England Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui
March 19, 2022 6.30am Australia Eden Park, Auckland
March 22, 2022 6.30am Bangladesh Seddon Park, Hamilton
March 27, 2022 6.30am South Africa Hagley Oval, Christchurch

New Zealand: Sophie Devine

Sophie Devine in Women's Cricket World Cup 2022. Copyright: 2020 Getty Images
Sophie Devine in Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022. Copyright: 2020 Getty Images

The all-rounder will captain the White Ferns for the home World Cup. She is a right handed batter and a right arm seamer. She can open the batting as well as bat in the middle order. She has featured in 121 ODIs, scored 2918 runs in 108 innings and picked up 86 wickets in 102 innings. She will be playing her fourth World Cup this year. As a captain, she has led the team in 18 ODIs, won 5 and lost 13. Her win percentage is 27.77.

Ahead of the World Cup, Sophie Devine wrote in her column, “Looking back, it was an incredible achievement from the 2000 White Ferns to win the World Cup at home. It certainly inspired several players in our current team, and we hope we can also inspire a new generation of cricketers both at home and around the world. Playing at home does come with added pressure and responsibility but knowing the country is behind us and will be supporting us is a great motivation.” 

Schedule: New Zealand in Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

March 4, 2022 6.30am West Indies Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui 
March 7, 2022 3.30am Bangladesh University Oval, Dunedin
March 10, 2022 6.30am India Seddon Park, Hamilton
March 13, 2022 3.30am Australia Basin Reserve, Wellington
March 17, 2022 6.30am South Africa Seddon Park, Hamilton
March 20, 2022 3.30am England Eden Park, Auckland
March 26, 2022 3.30am Pakistan Hagley Oval, Christchurch

Pakistan: Bismah Maroof 

Bismah Maroof
Bismah Maroof

The captain of Pakistan is a left-handed batter and a right arm leg spinner. She has 108 ODIs under her belt. She has scored 2602 runs, including 14 half-centuries, at an average of 27.97. With the ball, she has 44 wickets in 65 innings, including the best of 4-7. She is a genuine all-rounder and a good leader. She will be playing her fourth World Cup this year. As a captain, she has led the team in 18 ODIs, won 10 and lost 6. Her win percentage is 61.76.

Ahead of the World Cup, Bismah Maroof wrote in her column, “With the experience of Javeria Khan, Nida Dar, Diana Baig and Anam Amin; the extraordinary talent of Fatima Sana and Ghulam Fatima; and the grit of Aliya Riaz and Omaima Sohail, this team has all the ingredients to make history in this beautiful country.” Pakistan takes on India in their first game of the World Cup. With regards to this, Maroof wrote in her column, “Pakistan v India is a rivalry that attracts record eyeballs across the globe. I am sure millions of girls will tune in to watch this game and will leave inspired to take up the game.”

Also Read:  Stella Campbell replaces Tayla Vleminck in Australia’s Squad for Ashes and World Cup

Schedule: Pakistan in Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

March 6, 2022 6.30am India Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui 
March 8, 2022 6.30am Australia Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui
March 11, 2022 6.30am South Africa Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui
March 14, 2022 3.30am Bangladesh Seddon Park, Hamilton 
March 21, 2022 6.30am West Indies Seddon Park, Hamilton
March 24, 2022 6.30am England Hagley Oval, Christchurch
March 26, 2022 3.30am New Zealand Hagley Oval, Christchurch

South Africa: Sune Luus

Sune Luus - Captain of South Africa Women's Cricket World Cup Team. PC: Getty Images
Sune Luus – Captain of South Africa Women’s Cricket World Cup Team. PC: Getty Images

She will be the stand-in captain of South Africa, in the absence of their regular captain Dane van Niekerk. The all-rounder has featured in 92 ODIs since her debut in 2012. The right handed batter has scored 1416 runs and has picked up 108 wickets bowling leg spin. She will be playing her third World Cup this year. As a captain, she has led the team in 20 ODIs, won 11 and lost 6. Her win percentage is 63.15.

Ahead of the World Cup, Sune Luus wrote in a column, “We are coming off an extremely good year, and I know that the teams’ confidence is high. Around the same time in 2020, we played a series against New Zealand on some of the same grounds we will be playing in this tournament and were very successful. I am hoping that the preparation we had on that tour and the knowledge we gained will play a huge role in this tournament.”

Schedule: South Africa in Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

March 5, 2022 3.30 am Bangladesh University Oval, Dunedin
March 11, 2022 6.30am Pakistan  Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui
March 14, 2022 6.30am England Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui
March 17, 2022 6.30am New Zealand Seddon Park, Hamilton
March 22, 2022 3.30am Australia Basin Reserve, Wellington
March 24, 2022 3.30am West Indies Basin Reserve, Wellington
March 27, 2022 6.30am India Hagley Oval, Christchurch

West Indies: Stafanie Taylor

Stafanie Taylor
Stafanie Taylor

She is the captain of the West Indies team and one of the most experienced players in the side. This right handed batter has featured in 137 ODIs and scored 5147 runs, including seven centuries and 36 half-centuries. She is the top run-getter for the West Indies. She is a genuine all-rounder, who also bowls right-arm off spin and has 148 ODI wickets in 125 innings, including the best of 4-17. She will be playing her fourth World Cup this year.

As a captain, she has led the team in 54 ODIs, won 22 and lost 29. Her win percentage is 43.26. Ahead of the World Cup, Taylor wrote in a column, “The West Indies are heading to the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022 in a good space, the like of which I have not seen for a long time. A lot of that is down to the coaching staff. Courtney Walsh took over as head coach in 2020 and the impact that he and his team have made has been huge. They have been able to teach us things that we were just completely unaware of previously.”

Schedule: West Indies in Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

March 4, 2022 6.30 am New Zealand Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui 
March 9, 2022 3.30 am England University Oval, Dunedin
March 12, 2022 6.30 am India Seddon Park, Hamilton
March 15, 2022 3.30 am Australia Basin Reserve, Wellington
March 18, 2022 3.30 am Bangladesh Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui
March 21, 2022 6.30 am Pakistan Seddon Park, Hamilton
March 24, 2022 3.30 am South Africa  Basin Reserve, Wellington

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here