“I’ve been working really hard on my core strength,” says Darcie Brown

Australia’s emerging fast bowler Darcie Brown will be making her maiden World Cup appearance next month in the country from where she began her international cricket career in April last year. Brown is a promising talent which is evident from her bowling figures that include 2 4-wicket hauls in just 4 ODIs she has played.

Darcie Brown in action. PC: AusWomenCricket / Twitter
Darcie Brown in action. PC: AusWomenCricket / Twitter

The first one came while hosting India in September 2021 where she recorded a Player of the Match spell of 4/33 that included the wickets of the 3 top-order batters and an all-rounder. Her 2nd 4-wicket haul, a spell of 4/34 came against England during the 1st ODI of 2021-22 Ashes earlier this month wherein she took the wickets of England’s captain Heather Knight, opener Tammy Beaumont, all-rounder Nat Sciver followed by Sophie Ecclestone.

Sports broadcaster and journalist, Alex Malcolm shared an article on ESPN on Brown.

“I’ve been trying to actually bowl a bit fuller and then use the short ball as an actual weapon rather than, especially in the India series, I was bowling some short pies,” 2022 Betty Wilson Young Cricketer of the Year award winner shared.

“But I guess with consistency and getting stronger, it’ll be better. It all depends on the conditions in the pitch.

“We’ll assess that on game days and stuff like that. But definitely always keep it in the back pocket for a variation.”, she added.

Darcie Brown took 4 Wickets in 1st ODI played against England. PC: Getty Images
Darcie Brown took 4 Wickets in 1st ODI played against England. PC: Getty Images

The article further shared how well the young gun managed during the long cricket season which included 2 multi-format series and the WBBL with some important pre-season strength training helping her stay fit and active. She said,

“The start of pre-season I couldn’t really hold a 20-second plank, but now I can hold it a bit longer, thank goodness. So yeah, I’ve been working on that and especially lots of side stuff. Lots of fast bowlers get side strains and what not. Just a lot of injury prevention in that sort of aspect too.

“I feel so much stronger at the crease, and I guess that shows how much more consistent I’ve been. I’m still not quite there yet. But I suppose you can compare it to last season, it’s a lot better. Hopefully, we’re just on the up and it’ll just keep getting better.”, the WBBL|07 hat trick taker added.

Also Read:  Head to Head between England and Pakistan Women in ODI World Cup

Source: ESPN Cricinfo

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

Author of the poetry book ‘The Scent of Rhythm’, I am a passionate writer and a Sports enthusiast who writes on Cricket and plays Badminton.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here