“I like to talk a lot, I do not like to be the centre of attraction,” says Katey Martin

New Zealand’s wicket-keeper bat Katey Martin celebrates her 37th birthday today. In an interview on the eve of her birthday, she talked about the upcoming India series, the home World Cup, and more. The bilateral series between India and New Zealand will kick start from February 9. The White Ferns are together in Queenstown where the series will be played.

Revised Schedule for India Women's tour of New Zealand 2022
India Women’s tour of New Zealand 2022

Martin, who is a part of the T20I and ODI squad said in the interview, “We have a pretty good set up here in the hotel. The surroundings are amazing and you cannot simply not enjoy yourself in such conditions.”

Early in the day, the team wished her on her birthday in a huddle. Martin said, “Everybody wished me in the huddle. Though I like to talk a lot, I do not like to be the centre of attraction. I enjoy sitting back and being humble. It will be a relaxed birthday and I might go out with some of the girls for dinner tonight.”

Just in a couple of days’ time, New Zealand takes on India in a T20I, which will be followed by a five-match ODI series. This will be the last series for both the teams before the ICC Women’s World Cup that will be played in New Zealand from March 4 to April 3. The wicket-keeper bat said, “It is going to be a good series against a quality side like India. We will get an idea of where we stand and what are areas we need to work on. Winning a series at home will be important since we haven’t done that in a while. If we are able to win this series, then the girls will get a lot of confidence and will know that they are in the right direction.”

Also Read:  Fran Jonas Makes World Cup Debut, Youngest in 2022 Tournament

Katey Martin. PC: ESPN Cricinfo
Katey Martin. PC: ESPN Cricinfo

She further added, “We are getting along really well as a team. We got back together as a group after the England series that we played in September last year. I believe that if we keep working together on what we need to do individually then it will come out really well in the end.”

Martin and her team also had a look at the wicket on which they will be playing the first T20I against India.

She said, “The pitch seems to be a bit on the slower side, however, the outfield is quick. We need to pitch in the right areas to make the most of the wicket. Overall the conditions are good.”

For the upcoming India series and the World Cup, New Zealand has included 17-year old spinner Fran Jonas in the side. Martin said, “Fran Jonas has been doing really well. This is her second tour with the White Ferns. She is a confident character and someone who fits nicely in the team. We share a bit of a joke between ourselves. I tell that she was not even born when I made my debut for New Zealand (smiles).”

With respect to her batting and wicket-keeping, the 37-year old experienced wicket-keeper bat said, “I am feeling good. I know I am towards the back end of my career. I want to have fun and keep smiling because when I am doing so, I naturally do well with both bat and behind the stumps. I want to have some wins going forward and keep doing my best for the team.”

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  How can you become a CWC2022 Champion and be a part of Women's World Cup 2022 ?
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here