Coach Ramesh Powar speaks on the exclusion of Punam Raut, Jemimah Rodrigues and Shikha Pandey

India Women’s team head coach Ramesh Powar presented his views on the exclusion of experienced Punam Raut, Shikha Pandey and youngster Jemimah Rodrigues from the 50-over World Cup squad on Sunday, ahead of their departure to New Zealand. In a virtual media interaction, Powar and captain Mithali Raj spoke about their teams’ preparations and mindset for the upcoming 5 ODI match series against New Zealand.

Ramesh Powar and Mithali Raj attended a Virtual Press Conference on Sunday before their departure to New Zealand. PC: Bcci.tv
Ramesh Powar and Mithali Raj attended a Virtual Press Conference on Sunday before their departure to New Zealand. PC: Bcci.tv

Powar spoke openly about the omission of the three skillful players – Jemimah, Punam, and Shikha and said that their experience will not be missed.

“Every player in the scheme of things knows where they stand. What is their future and present.”

He specified,” We don’t have to communicate differently to them… because see at the end of it five selectors, the captain, and coach, they have discussed all the players and we came out with 18 players who can play better in New Zealand series as well as in World Cup.”

The 15 member India squad includes fast bowlers Meghna Singh and Renuka Singh Thakur, and the exciting new southpaw batter Yastika Bhatia. All three are being rewarded for their impressive performance in Australia.

L-R: Meghana Singh, Yastika Bhatia and Renuka Singh Thakur
L-R: Meghana Singh, Yastika Bhatia and Renuka Singh Thakur

“You cannot pick everyone. There’s only 15 and then three standbys. And we were looking at the particular things like fast bowlers like Renuka, Meghna, they were doing well, they are going to get their chances in upcoming matches.”

He emphasized on the consistency shown with the bat, ”Again, batting unit is consistent with Yastika, Smriti and Mithali so everyone is consistent, so we didn’t change much. At the end of it, seven of us getting together and picking the right team and backing the players, that matters at the end.”

He further added, ”Every player whoever is not there in the team, they know why they are not there. This is not a one-time communication, it’s been for a long period of time, at least last six months.”

Also Read:  Amy Satterthwaite completes 4500 ODI Run Milestone

The former India spinner was straightforward in his approach, he said, “I have been very clear about the roles. I told them specifically what is expected of them. This is a competition, a profession that you’re performing. If you don’t perform you don’t get your chances.”

The Indian women’s team is scheduled to play a one-off T20I and five-match ODI series against the Kiwis ahead of the ICC Women’s World Cup 2022.

Series against the World Cup hosts which begins with the one-off T20I on 9th February will prove crucial for team India’s preparation for the mega event.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here