Danielle Gibson and Issy Wong called up for T20I Ashes Series

England Women have recently announced their squad for the upcoming T20I Women’s Ashes series against Australia. The squad includes some familiar faces and a few new additions, bringing a fresh impetus to the team as they aim to turn the tide in the series.

Danielle Gibson and Issy Wong called up for T20I Ashes Series. PC: Getty Images
Danielle Gibson and Issy Wong called up for T20I Ashes Series. PC: Getty Images

Head coach Jon Lewis expressed his optimism about the upcoming T20I in the Ashes series. He highlighted the exceptional performances of several players in the England A team’s short-format fixtures, emphasizing their importance in the national squad. Lewis spoke highly of Danielle Gibson’s selection, recognizing her form at the regional level and her potential to make an impact in the international arena.

He also expressed excitement about Issy Wong’s return to the T20 squad, acknowledging her success with Mumbai Indians in the Women’s Premier League. Lewis is looking forward to the team putting on a show for everyone to enjoy.

One of the highlights of the squad announcement is the inclusion of all-rounder Danielle Gibson, who has earned her maiden call-up to the England T20I squad. Gibson had previously traveled with the team as a reserve for the 2023 ICC Women’s T20 World Cup and was also named in the Test squad for the one-off match at Trent Bridge earlier this month. Her selection is well-deserved, considering her impressive form at the regional level and her potential to make a significant impact whenever she is called upon.

Another notable addition to the squad is tearaway pacer Issy Wong, who has been recalled to the England T20I squad. Wong missed out on selection for the T20 World Cup but featured in the recent England Women A T20 matches against Australia A. Her success in the Women’s Premier League with Mumbai Indians has further strengthened her case for a return to the national squad. It will be exciting to see how Wong has progressed and grown from her experiences, and her inclusion adds depth and variety to the bowling attack.

Also Read:  Danielle Wyatt's fan travels from Mumbai to Bangalore to watch her play for UP Warriorz

Several players who were part of the squad for the T20 World Cup earlier this year have also been included in the Ashes squad. Maia Bouchier, Alice Capsey, Freya Davies, Charlie Dean, Sarah Glenn, and Lauren Winfield-Hill will bring their valuable experience and skills to the team as they strive for success in the Ashes series. Their familiarity with the international level and their performances in the T20 World Cup make them valuable assets to the squad.

The England Women’s Ashes squad will face Australia in three Vitality T20I matches. The first match will be held at Edgbaston on Saturday, July 1, followed by the second match at The Kia Oval on Wednesday, July 5, and the final match at Lord’s on Saturday, July 8. Each fixture is worth two points, and England will be determined to make a strong comeback after a defeat in the one-off Test match.

With the inclusion of Danielle Gibson and the recall of Issy Wong, the team has added new dimensions to their bowling attack. The presence of experienced players from the T20 World Cup squad will provide stability and leadership. Head coach Jon Lewis’s optimism and confidence in the players bode well for the team’s performance. As the series unfolds, thrilling matches and a highly competitive contest between England and Australia can be expected.

England Women’s T20I Ashes squad:

Heather Knight, Lauren Bell, Maia Bouchier, Alice Capsey, Kate Cross, Freya Davies, Charlie Dean, Sophia Dunkley, Sophie Ecclestone, Danielle Gibson, Sarah Glenn, Amy Jones, Nat Sciver-Brunt, Issy Wong, Lauren Winfield-Hill, Danielle Wyatt

Also Read:  1st ODI: England vs Australia | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

In addition to the Ashes squad announcement, England Women A have also announced their squad for the opening 50-over fixture against Australia A. Grace Scrivens will captain the side for their 50-over campaign, and the match will be held at Loughborough on Wednesday, June 28. The England Women’s A team is coming off a hat-trick of T20 victories over Australia A, and their performance in the upcoming 50-over fixtures will be closely watched.

England Women A squad to take on Australia in the 50-over fixtures:

Georgia Adams, Hollie Armitage, Hannah Baker, Alice Davidson-Richards, Kirstie Gordon, Eva Gray, Bess Heath, Ryana MacDonald-Gay, Paige Scholfield, Grace Scrivens, Bryony Smith, Linsey Smith, Mady Villiers

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here