Day 3: Tammy Beaumont scores Test Double Century, becomes first English woman to create record

Tammy Beaumont’s sensational batting display continued on the third day of the Ashes Test match between Australia and England. With remarkable footwork and strokeplay, Beaumont surpassed the longstanding record of Betty Snowball, becoming the highest-scoring England Women’s player in Test cricket.

Day 3: Tammy Beaumont scores Test Double Century, becomes first English woman to create record. PC: Getty Images
Day 3: Tammy Beaumont scores Test Double Century, becomes first English woman to create record. PC: Getty Images

Undeterred, Beaumont achieved another milestone by becoming the eighth woman in history to score a Test double-century. Despite her remarkable effort, Beaumont’s innings came to an end just 10 runs short of Australia’s mammoth first-innings total of 473, as Ashleigh Gardner dismissed her with a top-of-off-stump delivery. However, Beaumont’s contribution had already propelled England closer to parity.

Australia’s Phoebe Litchfield and Beth Mooney commenced the second innings strongly, remaining unbeaten on 41 and 33, respectively, as Australia extended their lead to 92 runs by the end of the day. Australia’s seamers, particularly Tahlia McGrath, impressed with their bowling performance. McGrath claimed three crucial wickets, dismissing Sophie Ecclestone, Kate Cross, and Lauren Filer. England faced further challenges with injuries, as Nat Sciver-Brunt battled a knee problem, and Kate Cross had to receive treatment for a finger injury.

Tammy Beaumont’s heroic innings showcased her sublime skills, concentration, and resilience. Remarkably, this was Beaumont’s second double-century in just eight days against Australia A in a warm-up match. Her recent performance reflects a remarkable turnaround in her international career, following a challenging period where she was dropped from the T20I squad. Beaumont’s resurgence began with a scintillating century against South Africa last July, and she continued to impress with consistent performances in ODI matches.

During lunch, England had added 90 runs for the loss of just one wicket, with Sophia Dunkley providing steady support to Beaumont. However, Gardner struck again before the second new ball was taken, dismissing Dunkley. Danni Wyatt made an impactful Test debut, showcasing her typical aggressive batting style with seven boundaries on her way to 44 runs. Amy Jones showed resilience, but Ellyse Perry claimed her wicket with a leading edge.

Also Read:  England Squad for ODI and T20I Series against New Zealand announced

As the third day concluded, Beaumont’s exceptional innings remained the highlight of the match, showcasing her unwavering determination and sublime skills. Australia maintained their advantage, with Litchfield and Mooney steering them to an unbeaten partnership and extending the lead to 92 runs. The stage is set for an exciting fourth day of play as England looks to make a comeback and keep the Ashes series alive.

Sports have always been a huge part of my life, and having played cricket professionally for my state team, I gained a deeper understanding of what it takes to succeed in the world of sports. With an eye for detail and passion for sports, I’m hoping to make a lasting impact in the sports industry.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here