23 Year Old Tayla Vlaeminck ruled out of Ashes and World Cup 2022 due to Foot Injury

While the Australian women’s team was still grappling with the absence of their star opening bat Beth Mooney, spin twins in Sophie Molineux and Georgia Wareham in the Women’s Ashes, they have another bad news to cope up with. Australia’s pace bowling sensation Tayla Vlaeminck has been ruled out of the remaining Women’s Ashes and the upcoming ICC Women’s World Cup to be played in March-April in New Zealand.

Tayla Vlaeminck was ruled out with a right foot injury. PC: Getty Images
Tayla Vlaeminck is ruled out of Ashes and World Cup 2022 with a right foot injury. PC: Getty Images

The 23-year old right-arm speedster has sustained a stress fracture in her foot. She suffered from the same injury in 2020 as well. Last year too, she missed out on featuring in the India series in September-October. There is no doubt that the young fast bowler will be massively disappointed to be injured again and at the wrong time.

“Tayla reported a return in midfoot pain and subsequent images have confirmed a recurrent stress fracture of the navicular. The Cricket Australia and Cricket Victoria medical teams will work collaboratively on the immediate management over the coming days and a subsequent return to play plan. She will be unavailable for the Ashes series and ODI World Cup,” said team doctor Philippa Inge.

She featured in the playing XI for the first T20I between Australia and England of the Women’s Ashes on January 20. She opened the bowling from the other end with Megan Schutt. Vlaeminck conceded 29 runs in four overs and bowled 11 dot balls. She went wicketless in that match. However, she bowled at a consistent pace in upwards of 115kph and troubled the English batters with some lethal shot ball stuff. Having a bowler like her, who can bend her back and bowl fast on a consistent basis is a true asset for any team. Australia will certainly miss her services not only for the remainder of the Ashes but also for the all-important ICC Women’s World Cup.

Also Read:  Cricket Australia National Contracts for the 2023-24 season Announced

The second T20I between Australia and England was scheduled on January 22. However, the match was abandoned due to rain after getting in just 4.1 overs. Vlaeminck did not feature in the playing XI of that match. With ace bowlers like Wareham, Molineux and Vlaeminck not in the mix for the Women’s Ashes, it will be a challenging task for Megan Schutt, Jess Jonassen and the other Australian bowlers.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here