On 24th August, India’s all-rounder Deepti Sharma celebrates her birthday and today she turned 22. We, therefore bring to you 22 lesser-known and interesting facts from Deepti’s life:
- Deepti Bhagwan Sharma was born on 24th August 1997 in Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India.
- She was inspired by her elder brother, Sumit Sharma, to know about cricket.
- At the age of nine, she started accompanying him to the playground to watch men’s net practices and matches.
- One fine day, she was asked to throw the ball back into the play.
- The ball hit the stumps and her 50-meter direct throw was spotted by India Women’s team selector Hemlatha Kala.
- Her journey to professional cricket started from thereon.
- By the age of 15, former Indian batter and selector, Rita Dey, spotted her all-round skills and predicted that she would play for India one day.
- Deepti Sharma is a matriculate and used to take her books to the ground during exam days.
- She always got full family support to pursue her passion.
- She started as a medium pacer but later shifted to slow off-spin bowling.
- She made her ODI debut for India on 28th November 2014 against South Africa.
- On 31st January 2016, she made her T20 debut against Australia.
- In November 2016, in last ODI against Sri Lanka she achieved her best bowling figures so far (6-20 in 9.2 overs)
- In May 2017, she made a world record opening partnership in ODIs of 320 runs with Poonam Raut against Ireland.
- Her contribution to the partnership was 188*, which is the second-highest individual ODI score in women’s cricket.
- She was the top run-scorer of the 2017-18 Senior Women’s domestic season.
- In June 2018, she was awarded the Jagmohan Dalmiya Trophy for the ‘Best Domestic Senior Women’s Cricketer’ by the BCCI.
- In June 2019, she was signed by the Western Storm team of Kia Super League, England.
- She backs herself as an all-rounder.
- Her favorite cricketer is Suresh Raina.
- She has learned to deal calmly with pressure situations from Mithali Raj.
- She loves listening to songs and likes to listen to Arijit Singh’s voice. Madhuri Dixit is her favorite actress.
Want to read more such interesting facts about Mithali Raj, Smriti Mandhana, Harmanpreet Kaur and Jhulan Goswami? Click here:
Loves all things female cricket