1st T20I – Ireland Women vs Stafanie Taylor, Afy Fletcher Shine, Windies Women Beat Ireland by 64 Runs

The West Indies Women were in fine form, sweeping aside Ireland Women in the first of three T20Is, at Claremont Road on Sunday morning Caribbean time. The toss fell for the Windies captain and she chose to bat. However, the Caribbean women did not get off to the start they no doubt hoped for.

The opening pair of Hayley Matthews and the returning Britney Cooper got off to a rather sticky start with the latter failing to time the ball. And when the dangerous Matthews was run-out by Lara Maritz in the fourth over, WINDIES found themselves going at under two runs per over.

In came Stefanie Taylor, who found in Britney Cooper, a partner with which to start the rebuilding. And although the West Indies was projected to fall short of the 120-mark after ten overs were completed; Taylor’s blistering 75 (53), with help from Shemaine Campbelle 20 (22) was enough, in the end, to help the visitors set a competitive total of 139.

It was a dream start to the Irish innings, for the West Indies, when Shamilia Connell got Gaby Lewis in the first over. It did take some time for the second wicket to fall; it came courtesy of one of the features of the West Indies team—sharp fielding. This time, it was Taylor who found Mary Waldron short of her ground off of the bowling of Hayley Matthews. Chinelle Henry chipped in with two quick wickets prior to the captain unleashing Afy Fletcher, who got into the action with her first delivery.

Also Read:  Match 1: Leeward Islands v Windward Islands | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI

Kim Garth 46 (55) was the only bats-woman to offer any resistance for the home team, before she, too, fell victim to Fletcher as the final wicket of the Irish innings. Fletcher finished with 4/14. Ireland will be sweating on the fitness of captain Laura Delany when the teams meet in the second T20I on Tuesday morning. Delany was unable to aid her team’s chase due to an ankle injury.

Series schedule:

2nd T20I: Tuesday 9 am (ECT) / 10 am Jamaica, Pembroke Cricket Club.

3rds T20I: Wednesday 9 am (ECT) / 10 am Jamaica, Pembroke Cricket Club.”
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here