Afy Fletcher’s four-fer helps West Indies level T20I series in a rain-curtailed encounter

Afy Fletcher’s four-fer powers West Indies to a comprehensive victory to level the series in a rain-curtailed encounter.

Afy Fletcher’s four-fer helps West Indies level T20I series in a rain-curtailed encounter

Skipper Chamari Athapaththu’s career-best figures (4-0-29-4) and Inoshi Priyadharshani Fernando’s (4-0-28-3) spell were instrumental in helping Sri Lanka go 1-0 up in the three-match T20I series with a four-wicket victory in the 1st T20I.

West Indies skipper Hayley Matthews won the toss and elected to field first in the 2nd T20I at Hambantota. After being inserted to bat first, the Sri Lankan openers Vishmi Gunaratne and skipper Chamari Athapaththu got off to a good start, with a 44-run opening stand, scoring over five runs an over. Afy Fletcher cleaned up the opposition skipper Chamari Athapaththu to provide the first breakthrough for the West Indies.

Imesha Dulhani soon followed her back to the pavilion to provide the 2nd breakthrough for the West Indies. Harshitha Samarawickrama joined Vishmi Gunaratne at the crease and the duo stitched a 20-run partnership for the 3rd wicket. Afy Fletcher came back and picked up the wicket of Harshitha Samarawickrama to provide the 3rd breakthrough for her side. Vishmi Gunaratne soon followed her back to the pavilion to provide the 4th breakthrough for the West Indies.

Kavisha Dilhari joined Hasini Perera at the crease and the rains arrived in the 16th over of the innings with Sri Lanka at 89/4 coming to an abrupt end to the 1st innings. The 2nd innings was reduced to 15 overs and the target was revised to 99 runs. Skipper Chamari Athapaththu (26 off 25 balls), Vishmi Gunaratne (24 off 35 balls), Kavisha Dilhari (14 off 6 balls), and Harshitha Samarawickrama (14 off 16 balls) were the top performers with the bat for Sri Lanka. Afy Fletcher (3.2-0-23-4), Hayley Matthews (3-0-17-0), and Karishma Ramharack (4-0-24-0) were the top performers with the ball for the West Indies.

Also Read:  West Indies clinch T20I series 2-1 with dominant six-wicket win, courtesy Hayley Matthews

Chasing a target of 99, the West Indies openers Stafanie Taylor and skipper Hayley Matthews got off to a solid start, with a 44-run opening stand, scoring at seven runs an over. Sachini Nisansala cleaned up skipper Hayley Matthews to provide the first breakthrough for Sri Lanka. Wicket-keeper batter Shemaine Campbelle joined Stafanie Taylor at the crease and the duo stitched a crucial 24-run partnership for the 2nd wicket. Skipper Chamari Athapaththu picked up the wicket of wicket-keeper batter Shemaine Campbelle to provide the 2nd breakthrough for her side.

West Indies eventually got over the line with six wickets in hand and five balls to spare. Skipper Hayley Matthews (29 off 29 balls), Stafanie Taylor (28 off 26 balls), and wicket-keeper Shemaine Campbelle (16 off 13 balls) were the top performers with the bat for the West Indies. Sachini Nisansala (3-0-18-1), Inoshi Priyadharshani (3-0-17-0), and skipper Chamari Athapaththu (2.1-0-18-1), were the top performers with the ball for Sri Lanka.

The 3rd and the final T20I will be played at Hambantota on 28th June 2024 (Friday) from 10 AM IST.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here