Chamari Athapaththu and Inoshi Priyadharshani help Sri Lanka pick their first T20I win against West Indies since 2015

Skipper Chamari Athapaththu and Inoshi Priyadharshani shine with the ball as Sri Lanka go 1-0 up in the T20I series.

Chamari Athapaththu and Inoshi Priyadharshani help Sri Lanka pick their first T20I win against West Indies since 2015

The Sri Lankan women’s team led by skipper Chamari Athapaththu completed a thrashing whitewash (3-0) in the ODI series against the West Indies. They completed a whitewash in the ODI series after 21 years. It is also their first ODI series victory against the West Indies in the last 16 years. Their last series win against the West Indies came in November 2008.

The caravan now moves on to the three-match T20I series that commenced on 24th June 2024 and will conclude on 28th June 2024. The Sri Lankan skipper Chamari Athapaththu won the toss and opted to field first in the 1st T20I at the Mahinda Rajapaksa International Cricket Stadium, Sooriyawewa, in Hambantota. The 21-year-old Sri Lankan wicket-keeper batter Kaushini Nuthyangana returned to the side, having last played for Sri Lanka on 8th February 2023, The 33-year-old bowling all-rounder Ama Kanchana also made her way back into the side, after having last played for the country on 16th February 2023 against Australia in the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup.

After being inserted to bat first, West Indies got off to a cautious start, before Stafanie Taylor retired hurt in the 3rd over of the innings. Qiana Joseph joined skipper Hayley Matthews at the crease and the duo stitched a 40-run stand for the first wicket. Skipper Chamari Athapaththu cleaned up Qiana Joseph to provide the first breakthrough for Sri Lanka. Wicket-keeper batter Shemaine Campbelle soon followed her back to the pavilion to provide the 2nd breakthrough for Sri Lanka.

Also Read:  Sri Lanka claims ODI series win against the West Indies after 16 years

Chedean Nation joined skipper Hayley Matthews at the crease and the duo stitched a crucial 26-run partnership for the 3rd wicket. Inoshi Priyadharshani Fernando picked up the wicket of Chedean Nation to provide the 3rd breakthrough for her side. West Indies eventually ended up with a total of 134/8 in their quota of overs. The 33-run 7th wicket partnership between Afy Fletcher and Aaliyah Alleyne played a crucial role in helping their side get past the 130-run mark.

Skipper Hayley Matthews (30 off 30 balls), Aaliyah Alleyne (26 off 22 balls), Qiana Joseph (20 off 18 balls), and Afy Fletcher (14 off 11 balls) were the top performers with the bat for the West Indies. Skipper Chamari Athapaththu (4-0-29-4), Inoshi Priyadharshani Fernando (4-0-28-3), and Ama Kanchana (3-0-19-1) were the top performers with the ball for Sri Lanka.

Chasing a target of 135, Sri Lanka got off to a steady start, before they lost the wicket of their skipper Chamari Athapaththu in the 3rd over of the run chase. Skipper Hayley Matthews provided the first breakthrough for the West Indies. Harshitha Samarawickrama joined Vishmi Gunaratne at the crease and the duo stitched a crucial 46-run partnership for the 2nd wicket putting the home side in firm control of the run chase.

Afy Fletcher picked up the wicket of Vishmi Gunaratne to provide the 2nd breakthrough for her side. Kavisha Dilhari soon followed her back to the pavilion to provide the 3rd breakthrough for the West Indies. Hasini Perera joined Harshitha Samarawickrama at the crease and the duo stitched a crucial 24-run partnership for the 4th wicket. Aaliyah Alleyne cleaned up Harshitha Samarawickrama to provide the 4th breakthrough for her side.

Also Read:  3rd ODI: Sri Lanka vs West Indies | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live Streaming | Pitch Report

Sri Lanka eventually got over the line with four wickets in hand and eight balls to spare. Vishmi Gunaratne (35 off 25 balls), Harshitha Samarawickrama (35 off 34 balls), Hasini Perera (20 off 14 balls), and Nilakshika Silva (17 off 15 balls) were the top performers with the bat for Sri Lanka. Afy Fletcher (4-0-29-2), Hayley Matthews (3-0-19-1), Karishma Ramharack (4-0-30-1), and Aaliyah Alleyne (2-0-14-1), were the top performers with the ball for the West Indies. The 2nd T20I of the series will be played on 26th June (Wednesday) 2024 from 10 AM IST.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here