Pakistan defeat Zimbabwe in the last group-stage match by 10 Wickets

Pakistan had had a remarkable World Cup so far winning two out of their three matches at the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2023 and the win versus Zimbabwe in their Group B match at Potchefstroom was a fitting conclusion to the group stage matches. Their opponents, Zimbabwe however would be ruing their missed chances this World Cup having lost all of their three matches.

Pakistan defeat Zimbabwe in the last group-stage match by 10 Wickets. PC: Sana Mir / Twitter
Pakistan defeat Zimbabwe in the last group-stage match by 10 Wickets. PC: Sana Mir / Twitter

In this match, Zimbabwe won the toss and decided to bat first. They did not have the best of the outings with the bat as they were reduced to 97/6 in their 20 overs. Natasha Mtomba was the first to get dismissed for 10 and Kay Ndiraya and Kelly Ndiraya tried building on a partnership but a runout and a dismissal respectively by Anosha Nasir put a break on their chances. For the next eight overs or so, Zimbabwe did not lose wickets and what was fascinating to see was how Kelis Ndhlovu scored a phenomenal 42 off 35 even as wickets around her fell and it was eventually after her dismissal and Adel Zimunu’s dismissal that Zimbabwe ended up with 97 off their 20 overs. Anosha Nasir with her two-wicket haul and Areesha Noor and Laiba Nasir’s one-wicket apiece helped Pakistan restrict Zimbabwe.

Pakistan however wrapped up the chase in a mere 10.5 overs scoring 100/0 as Shawaal Zulfiqar with her 32 off 30 and Eyman Fatima with her 62 off 35 laced with ten boundaries and two maximums sealed the deal for Pakistan.

Brief Scores: ZIM- 97/6 in 20 overs (K Ndhlovu 42; A Nasir 2/21, Areesha Noor 1/14) lost to PAK- 100 for no loss in 10.5 overs (S Zulfiqar 32, E Fatima 62) by 10 wickets with 55 wickets

I am a first year postgraduate student pursuing a MA in Media and Communication Studies at Christ University, Bengaluru. I am a podcaster, blogger and an avid cricket fan. When not glued to cricket matches, you can find me submerged in books and thinking about cricket all the time.

Also Read:  Match 2: Warriors vs Sapphires | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here