Indonesia announces squad for the ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup

Cricket Indonesia has announced a 15-member squad ahead of the ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup. This will be the first time that Indonesia will be a part of any ICC event and will look to make a statement.

Indonesia announces squad for the ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup. PC: ICC
Indonesia announces squad for the ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup. PC: ICC

Which Group is Indonesia a part of?

Indonesia is a part of Group C and will square off against the likes of Ireland, New Zealand and the West Indies on the 15th of January, 17th of January and 19th of January respectively. They will certainly look for a top-three finish in the table to qualify for the next round.

What do the Group Stage Fixtures for Indonesia look like in U19 Women’s T20 World Cup 2023 ?

Date

Opposition 

Venue

Timing (in IST)

January 15th

New Zealand

North-West University Oval, Potchefstroom

5:15 PM

January 17th

West Indies

North-West University Oval, Potchefstroom

5:15 PM

January 19th

Ireland

JB Marks Oval, Potchefstroom

1:30 PM

Indonesia U19 squad for U19 Women’s World Cup 2023

Wesikaratna Dewi (c), Thersiana Penu Weo (vc), Ni Kadek Ariani, Yessny Djahilepang, Sang Ayu Puspita Dewi, Lie Qiao, I Gusti Pratiwi, Ni Kadek Murtiari, Ni Putu Cantika, Ni Kadek Dwi Indriyani, Desi Wulandari, Ni Made Suarniasih, Gusti Ayu Ratna Ulansari, Dewa Ayu Sasrikayoni, Kadek Ayu Kurniartini

Key Takeaways:

• Indonesia qualified for the ICC U-19 Women’s T20 World Cup owing to their tremendous performance in the three-match series against Papua New Guinea and subsequently, their win in the East Asia Pacific group helped them qualify for the elusive World Cup.

• This is their first-ever ICC event and although the team is inexperienced, they will look to make a statement as there are some expectations riding on the team.

• Indonesia is placed in a tough group that boasts the likes of New Zealand, West Indies and Ireland and they will have to play top-notch cricket to match the might of their opponents.

• One of the most impressive players for Indonesia is Kadek Ayu Kurniartini who was in delightful form during the East Asia Pacific Qualifier that helped Indonesia qualify. She is a valuable top-order batter who is also more than handy with the ball and her exploits were seen versus Papua New Guinea when she scalped two wickets in consecutive deliveries defending two runs and leading her team to glory will not be forgotten. Her performances will be crucial for Indonesia’s prospects and she is definitely a player to watch out for.

Also Read:  Warm-Up Match 7: New Zealand U19 v Rwanda U19 | Squads | Players to Watch | Fantasy Playing XI 

What did Wesikaratna Dewi, the captain of the Indonesia team have to say ahead of the World Cup?

“I’m very proud even though at a young age I was given the opportunity to lead this team and hope to be able to bring my team to become the best team and be able to make my country proud,” she said.

I am a first year postgraduate student pursuing a MA in Media and Communication Studies at Christ University, Bengaluru. I am a podcaster, blogger and an avid cricket fan. When not glued to cricket matches, you can find me submerged in books and thinking about cricket all the time.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here