West Indies U19 on a roll with a crucial win against Indonesia by 77 Runs

West Indies registered a convincing win against Indonesia by 77 runs in their Group C match at Potchefstroom, taking their win tally to 2 and 4 points on the table. Winning the toss, West Indies decided to bat first in what was a smart and calculative move.

West Indies U19 on a roll with a crucial win against Indonesia. PC: Getty Images
West Indies U19 on a roll with a crucial win against Indonesia. PC: Getty Images

Batting first, West Indies made a whopping 176/3. Shunelle Sawh and Zaida James gave a fantastic start to the Caribbean team. Up until the 11th over, they were unstoppable but after Sawh was dismissed for 31, the very next over also saw the dismissal of James for a well-played 55. Other quickfire knocks by Naijanni Cumberbatch who remained unbeaten on 24 with Djenaba Joseph scoring 20 and Trishan Holder’s 35* paved the way for West Indies to put up a competitive total.

Indonesia had a disastrous batting outing as they were skittled for a paltry 99/9. Gusti Ulansari was the earliest to get out for 9 in the 4th over. Kadek Kurniartini and skipper, Ni Luh Dewi were the other major run-getters and double-digit run-scorers because what followed was a slew of quick and cheap dismissals that signaled the demise of Indonesia’s batting that could not tolerate the might of the West Indies bowling that was superior and completely outplayed them. Djenaba Joseph was the pick of the bowlers picking up three wickets while Kdjazz Mitchell, Ashmini Munisar and Zaida James were also instrumental in scalping the wickets of Indonesia.

Zaida James for her 55 off 37 and 1/21 was adjudged the ‘Player of the Match’.

Brief Scores: WI- 176/3 (Z James 55, T Holder 35; N Suarniasih 1/22) defeated INA- 99/9 (K Kurniartini 15, NL Dewi 14; D Joseph 3/14) by 77 runs

I am a first year postgraduate student pursuing a MA in Media and Communication Studies at Christ University, Bengaluru. I am a podcaster, blogger and an avid cricket fan. When not glued to cricket matches, you can find me submerged in books and thinking about cricket all the time.

Also Read:  Double hat-trick, a remarkable win and everything in between for Rwanda U19
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here