Soumya Tiwari’s Century and Anushka Sharma’s all-round performance shine on Day 1

The Women’s U19 One Day Challenger Trophy kicked off on November 2, with two matches being played at Jaipur. The tournament will be played from November 2 to November 7 among four teams, namely, India A, India B, India C, and India D. Jaipur will host all the matches.

U19 Women's One Day Challenger Trophy 2021
U19 Women’s One Day Challenger Trophy 2021

India A vs India B – Women’s U19 One Day Challenger Trophy 2021-22

India A locked horns against India B at RCA Academy Ground in Jaipur. Winning the toss and electing to bat first, India B posted a competitive score of 221-4 in 50 overs, riding on a stellar century from their opening bat Trisha Gongadi (112 runs off 158 balls, 4s: 17). Trisha and her opening partner captain Anushka Sharma (72 runs off 114 balls, 4s: 7, 6s: 1) stitched a 188 run partnership in 44 overs. In reply, India A could manage to score only 129 as they were bowled out in 41.3 overs, losing the match by 92 runs. First with the bat and then with the ball, Sharma wrecked havoc striking with 5-18 in her 10 overs, including two maidens. For India A, their opening bat Roshni Kiran top scored with 51 runs off 79 balls, including nine boundaries and a six. With the ball, India A’s Muskan Sogi was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 2-3 in her 10 overs, including two maidens.

Brief Score: India B 221-4 in 50 overs (G Trisha 112; M Sogi 2-33) beat India A 129 all out in 41.3 overs (R Kiran 51; A Sharma 5-18) by 92 runs

India C vs India D – Women’s U19 One Day Challenger Trophy 2021-22

India D took on India C at KL Saini Stadium in Jaipur. Winning the toss and electing to bat first, India C piled up 189-8 in 50 overs, thanks to a scintillating century from Soumya Tiwari (105 runs off 144 balls, 4s: 15). In reply, India D chased down the score in 47.4 overs, winning the match by two wickets. Soniya Mendhiya top scored for India D with 38 runs off 49 balls, including six boundaries. With the ball, India D’s Kashvee Gautam, Neelam Bhardwaj and Soniya Mendhiya claimed two wickets each, while India C’s Pooja Raj was the most successful bowler for the team accounting for 4-36 in her 10 overs, including one maiden.

Also Read:  Squad Announced for Women's T20 Challenge in UAE - Complete List

Brief Score: India C 189-8 in 50 overs (S Tiwari 105; K Gautam 2-39, N Bhardwaj 2-44, S Mendhiya 2-19) lost to India D 190-8 in 47.4 overs (S Mendhiya 38; P Raj 4-36) by 2 wickets

India B and India D have pocked 4 points each for their wins.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here