Summary: 1st T20I – Chamari Athapaththu’s maiden T20I ton in vain as Australia defeat Sri Lanka by 41 runs

Athapaththu’s century goes in vain as Australia win by 41 runs against in the 1st T20i against Srilanka at Sydney on Sunday.

Key Performers:

1) Beth Mooney: The Wicket Keeping batter looked in great touch after coming from a disappointing tour of Windies. She was back with a bang scoring her second T20i century which included a knock of 113 runs in 61 balls consisting of 20 fours.

2) Chamari Athapaththu: The Srilanka skipper used all her experience of playing in these conditions which helped her to score a sensational knock of 113 runs in 66 balls including 12 fours and 6 sixes.

Chamari Athapaththu scored 113 runs off 66 balls for Sri Lanka women. Pic Credits

Summary
:

Winning the toss, Meg Lanning opted to bat on a surface that assisted batting. Openers Healy and Mooney were off to a flyer smashing from the ball number one. Alyssa Healy scored a quick 43 including 6 fours and 1 six before she got out trying to hit one out of the park on the bowling of Ranasinghe. Incoming better and skipper Meg Lanning did not spend much time in the crease as she was dismissed lbw trying to sweep a quicker one from Ranasinghe. On the other hand, Mooney kept playing classy drives and pulls, which was great to see for cricket fans and meanwhile she got up to her second T20i century in just 54 balls. The innings was all class more than power-hitting, she was well supported by Gardener who scored a quick 49. Both had a partnership of 115 runs in just 60 balls. In the end, Australia finished off the innings at 217 for 4 in 20 overs.

Also Read:  All you need to know about ICC WT20 World Cup Qualifiers 2024 | Squad, Schedule, Venue, Live Streaming

Chasing the target Srilanka was not of to a good start as the opener Mendis got dismissed run out for just 7 runs. The upcoming batter Anushka too did not spend much time at the crease even she got out for 7. On the other side, the Srilanka skipper kept on smashing from ball number 1, she single-handedly took responsibility of the innings, though she didn’t get much support from others, she scored her first T20i century in just 60 balls. Her innings was completely contrasted to that of Mooney innings. Athapaththu was full of power-hitting, hitting 6 Sixes against a mighty Australian attack is not easy. This innings must lift the team for upcoming matches. This is Athapaththu’s second century against Australia including all the formats. It looks like she likes to play against mighty Aussies.

In the end, Srilanka ended up their innings at 176 for 7 in 20 overs. Though all the bowlers were on the expensive side, Wareham picked up 2 wickets which somehow helped Australia to restrict SL from chasing. Australia continued their winning streak as they won by 41 runs.

It was a rare sight seeing almost 400 runs in a Woman’s T20i match. Good that Lankans gave some fight and hope they come back better and stronger in the next match.

Brief Scores: Aus 217 for 4 ( Mooney 113, Gardener 49 and Ranasinghe 2 for 44 ) defeated SL 176 for 7 ( Athapaththu 113, Wareham 2 for 19) by 41 runs.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here