Ireland makes history with all-female commentary team for T20I Series against Sri Lanka

In a landmark moment for Irish cricket, the 1st Twenty20 International (T20I) between Ireland and Sri Lanka featured the debut of an all-female commentary team for an international fixture in Ireland. This all-female commentary panel represents a significant development in the growing opportunities for women in sports broadcasting.

Ireland makes history with all-female commentary team for T20I Series against Sri Lanka. PC: Getty
Ireland makes history with all-female commentary team for T20I Series against Sri Lanka. PC: Getty

Sri Lanka is currently touring Ireland for a limited-overs series, consisting of a two-match T20I series followed by a three-match One-Day International (ODI) series. It was during the series opener that the first all-female commentary team for an Irish international match featured. For years, the sports media industry has been predominantly male-dominated, with women often marginalized in key roles. The emergence of this all-female team for an Irish international match emphasizes greater inclusivity and more opportunities on an international stage.

Out of the four-member panel in the all-female commentary team, three of them are former Irish cricketers.

Isobel Joyce, the former Ireland captain who is part of the commentary panel, shared her excitement about the evolution of women’s cricket and her continued involvement in the sport through commentary.

Reflecting on the changes, Joyce remarked, “I retired just before the game went professional, but in a way, I am still reaping the rewards of the professional era through commentary.”

Joyce also expressed her views on her unexpected journey into cricket commentary and highlighted how the sports media industry has changed over the years, where female voices were once absent but are now gaining prominence. This reflects the overall growth and evolution of cricket broadcasting in Ireland as well as globally.

Also Read:  Orla Prendergast’s blockbuster show scripts history as the home side stun Sri Lanka for first time in ODIs

Joyce said, “I used to watch a lot of cricket on television and I learned a lot from listening to the commentators, but I never dreamed that it might be where I would end up—I had never heard a female voice on comms.”

To place your bets and earn real money, click on the image and sign up now:

Stake Cricket Banner

The rapid progress of women in cricket commentary marks a significant shift from a time when only a few female commentators, like Mel Jones and Natalie Germanos, were seen in the commentary box. Joyce emphasized how the increasing visibility of women in this role has transformed it into a viable career path, not only for former players but also for those passionate about the game.

Joyce says, “At first it was just a few like Mel Jones and Natalie Germanos, but very quickly more and more females made their way into the game and now it feels like a path players and non-players alike can look to follow.”

The four members who are part of the all-female commentary panels are as follows:

1) Georgia Heath – She is a multi-sport commentator and broadcaster with experience working around the globe on both men’s and women’s events.

2) Isobel Joyce – She is a former Ireland women’s captain and renowned all-rounder. She is Ireland’s women’s highest wicket-taker of all time and fifth-highest run-scorer & since her retirement is a constant presence in coaching, media & commentary.

3) Celeste Reeck – A former Ireland International, Raack is a physiotherapist by trade. She played domestic professional cricket in Australia before moving to Ireland to play international cricket & has now moved into the commentary space.

Also Read:  Who is Joanna Loughran | Bio | Stats | Ireland Player

4) Shauna Kavanagh – The former Ireland cricketer with 110 caps under her belt has taken her steps into commentary since her retirement in 2023.

(Quotes sourced from Cricket Ireland)

Liked the story? Leave a comment here

Sierra Leone Women’s National Cricket Team Belize Women’s National Cricket Team Namibia Women’s National Cricket Team Profile
Most Popular Female Cricketers on Instagram List of 10 Brother-Sister pair in Cricket Husband-Wife Pair in Cricket