“The start to both the series was the key”: South Africa Coach on the team’s successful India tour

South Africa, Momentum Proteas, Coach Hilton Moreeng says that the key to the girls winning the ODI and T20I series successfully was the way they started off the series and lauded the girls for starting the games on a winning note.

Hilton Moreeng. Photo: Gerhard Duraan/BackpagePix
Hilton Moreeng. Photo: Gerhard Duraan/BackpagePix

The South African team won their ODI by a 4-1 margin, and also won the T20I series by 2-1, which was their first-ever win T20I series win against India. After their 50-over series win against India, they jumped up to No. 2 in the ICC Rankings list, which is to date their best ranking.

South Africa Women's Cricket Team defeat India 4-1 in ODI Series. PC: Twitter
South Africa Women’s Cricket Team defeat India 4-1 in ODI Series. PC: Twitter

“We really are appreciative of the support that has come our way these past few weeks. We were up against one of the best teams in the world in their own conditions. The way we started both series was key and winning those first games had been something we spoke about especially after not managing that in the past. But we did that and it set the tone in both the ODIs and T20I,” the coach said.

The performances from the players were incredible and I don’t think I can praise them enough for their efforts. So I’m really proud of the girls. It was tough but they made it look very easy,” he added in the official release by CSA.

Before their India series, the girls had defeated New Zealand in the ODI series which took place last year, which was also the first time they had won an ODI series against The White Ferns.

South Africa took both the ODI and T20I championship trophy home, defeating India 4-1 and 2-1 respectively.

Also Read:  "I immediately knew that my World Cup was in danger," Dane Van Niekerk recalls Unfortunate Accident

(Source: ANI)

For more such latest news and updates around women’s cricket, follow us on Twitter and Instagram.

Vaishnavi Iyer

I’m a Senior Masters student pursuing Journalism and Mass Communication. An all time Cricket enthusiast. I could never play the game but always loved watching it, and now writing about it!

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here