Only 10% of the capacity allowed to be filled for Ind-SA series at Ekana Stadium

On Thursday evening, the Uttar Pradesh Cricket Association (UPCA) confirmed to ESPN Cricinfo that spectators up to 10% of the stadium capacity will be permitted inside the Ekana International Stadium in Lucknow, venue for India – South Africa ODI and T20I series starting March 7. The two teams will play five ODIs and three T20Is. Tickets for all the matches will be sold online only.

Ekana Cricket Stadium to host India-South Africa Series
Ekana Cricket Stadium to host India-South Africa Series

The capacity of the stadium is 50,000. Only 10% of the capacity is allowed to be filled which means that only 5000 tickets will be available for sale. The tickets are priced between Rs. 200 and Rs. 400. The venue for the series which is Ekana International Stadium in Lucknow will host an international women’s fixture for the first time. An international men’s game was played in 2018 when India locked horns against West Indies in a T20I. Apart from that, the venue has been used primarily by the Afghanistan team as one of their home grounds. The Afghanistan team has played one Test, three ODIs, and four T20Is there.

In addition to the spectators, media personnel will be allowed, keeping in mind the need to promote women’s cricket. The matches will also be telecast live on Star Sports 2, Star Sports 2 HD, and Disney + Hotstar VIP.

“Women’s cricket is very important for us. That’s why we brought the matches to UP and Lucknow,” Rajiv Shukla, BCCI vice president told ESPNcricinfo. He added, “We want more and more people to come to watch the series but the problem is you have to follow whatever the state administration allows given the [Covid-19] situation. Only a limited number of tournaments are being held right now due to the pandemic. We are organizing a women’s [international] series now and the domestic season is about to begin. So, we want to promote women’s cricket; the BCCI also wants to promote women’s cricket.”

Also Read:  8 Records that Could be Made or Broken during India-South Africa Women's ODI Series

The bilateral series will be the first international appearance for Women in Blue after their memorable journey to the ICC Women’s World T20 final last year. India played the final on March 8 against Australia at the MCG in front of a record 86,174 people.

The article was first published on ESPN cricinfo

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here