1st ODI: Ireland v South Africa Women | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI

The first ODI of the three-match ODI series between Ireland and South Africa will be played on June 11 at Castle Avenue in Dublin. Prior to the ODI series, the two teams locked horns against each other in a three-match T20I series, which South Africa won 2-1.

This ODI series will be a part of the 2022-25 cycle of ICC Women’s Championship (IWC). Only the top six teams from the 10-team IWC will qualify for the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup in 2025. Therefore, this ODI series will be equally important for both the teams.

1st ODI: Ireland v South Africa Women | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI

Match Preview: 1st ODI between Ireland and South Africa 

Head-to-Head

Ireland and South Africa have played 17 ODIs against each other with Ireland winning one, South Africa winning 15 and one match not producing a result.

Squads

Ireland: Gaby Lewis (captain), Alana Dalzell, Rachel Delaney, Georgina Dempsey, Sarah Forbes, Shauna Kavanagh, Arlene Kelly, Sophie MacMahon, Jane Maguire, Kate McEvoy, Cara Murray, Leah Paul, Celeste Raack, Mary Waldron

South Africa: Anneke Bosch, Tazmin Brits, Trisha Chetty, Nadine de Klerk, Lara Goodall, Shabnim Ismail, Ayabonga Khaka, Sune Luus (captain), Nonkululeko Mlaba, Raisibe Ntozakhe, Tumi Sekhukhune, Andrie Steyn, Chloe Tryon, Delmi Tucker, Laura Wolvaardt

Players to watch

Gaby Lewis: The stand-in captain of Ireland for the white-ball series against South Africa was the leading run-getter in the three-match T20I series that just concluded. The right-handed opening batter muscled 112 runs in three matches at a strike rate of 113. In the process, she hit one half-century.

Arlene Kelly: This right arm seamer from Auckland, who plays for Ireland was the leading wicket-taker for Ireland in the recently concluded three-match T20I series against South Africa. She accounted for three wickets in as many matches.

Also Read:  Explained: Top 5 Moments of WPL 2024 League Rounds

Anneke Bosch:  The right-handed batter of South Africa was the top run-getter for her side in the recently concluded T20I series against Ireland. She smashed 105 runs in three matches and remained unbeaten in two innings. She had the best batting average of 105 in the T20I series.

Tumi Sekhukhune: The right arm seamer from South Africa was the highest wicket-taker in the recently concluded three-match T20I series against Ireland. She picked up eight wickets, including a couple of three-wicket hauls. She bowled at an economy rate of six runs per over.

Pitch

The venue has hosted six completed women’s ODIs so far with the latest one being played in June 2018. Teams batting first have won five out of the six matches, while the team batting second have won just the one. The average first innings score is 205 and the average second innings score is 118. This will be the first ODI of the series that will be played at this venue. Expect a fresh wicket which will assist the batters. On the other hand, the cloudy conditions and high chance of rain could help the fast bowlers.

Weather

The weather is expected to be breezy with variable cloudiness and a couple of showers. The average temperature will be around 18 degrees Celsius. As per the forecast, there is 84 percent chance of rain and 70 percent cloud cover. The wind will blow from the west-southwest.

Fantasy Playing XI

Mary Waldron, Anneke Bosch, Gaby Lewis, Lara Goodall, Laura Wolvaardt, Arlene Kelly, Leah Paul, Nadine de Klerk, Ayabonga Khaka, Shabnim Ismail, Tumi Sekhukhune

Also Read:  South Africa claim the No. 2 spot in ICC Women's ODI Team Rankings

Match details

Date: June 11, 2022

Time: 3.15PM IST

Venue: Castle Avenue, Dublin

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here