Nineteen years old Uncapped Nonkululeko Mlaba earns maiden Proteas Call-up

A Nineteen-year-old Ntuzuma cricketer Nonkululeko Mlaba has been chosen for the South African Women’s group for their forthcoming voyage through India that will incorporate five T20 Internationals and three One Day Internationals beginning on 24 September.

Nonkululeko Mlaba got a call up to the Proteas women’s team. Photo: @DolphinsCricket via Twitter

The increase of Mlaba through the ranks was meteoric and her capacity was noticed in the latest SA Emerging series against Bangladesh after which the left-arm spinner followed with powerful performance in the newly created Women’s T20 Super League. She was also one of the stand-separated players for the KZN Coastal side at the 2018 CSA Women’s National Week and was tremendously influential in driving Coastal increment progression to the CSA Women’s Provincial League ‘Top Six’.

Her shows have earned her assurance in both the ODI squad and the T20 squad for what will be a serious visit against India, who are situated second on the planet in 50 over cricket and fifth in T20 cricket.

“I am so excited to be selected for South Africa, it really is a dream come true for me!” Mlaba said.

“Cricket became a passion of mine when I started playing in 2013 and to have come through to be part of the national team is an incredible feeling.

“There is so much excitement but there are also nerves because going to India is going to be a completely new experience for me.”

It was a relatively quick path to the national side for Mlaba from SA Under 19 selection in 2016 and the female from Ntuzuma south of Durban bashed down the door of choice for the first time. Having been close to the national squad has suggested that fuse into the set up won’t be hard for Mlaba.

Also Read:  17-years-old Hannah Darlington joins Sydney Thunder for WBBL05

“I know a lot of the girls very well so I am not worried about joining the group. It is such an exciting opportunity for me and I cannot wait to get to India,” she added.
Mlaba will join Nodumiso Shangase as the two KwaZulu-Natal Cricket Union delegates in the national squad for the voyage through India.

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here