“It’s a proud moment” – Marizanne Kapp on their historic ODI win against Australia

It’s always easy to say, ‘It was tough conditions or they really bowled well,’ but we also bowl well. You have to try things and you have to be positive. Marizanne Kapp speaks about staying in a positive mindset on a tour of Australia.

Marizanne Kapp at a press conference before the test match in 2022. PC: Getty Images
Marizanne Kapp. PC: Getty Images

The South African skipper Laura Wolvaardt is touring Australia for an all-format series that includes a three-match T20I series followed by a three-match ODI series and then a one-off Test match. The series commenced on 27th January 2024 and will conclude on 18th February 2024. South Africa lost the T20I series, however, they sealed a historic, maiden victory in the T20I format against Australia.

“We asked the whole squad to just to go to your room, look at yourself a bit, and come back with answers. It’s always easy to say, ‘it was tough conditions or they really bowled well,’ but we also bowl well. You have to try things and you have to be positive.” Marianne Kapp speaks about reinstilling the self-belief into the squad and staying in a positive mindset.

Moving on to the ODI series, the home side Australia clinched the 1st ODI by 8 wickets. However, the visitors, South Africa scripted a spirited fightback led by the veteran all-rounder Marizanne Kapp aided well by the youngsters in the pace bowling department to level the series with a historic, maiden victory over Australia in the ODI format. “It’s a proud moment, not only for me but for South African cricket as a whole. We all know we’ve never beaten Australia in a one-day game. So, to be able to perform and help my team over the line is a massive achievement for me.” Marizanne Kapp speaks about the significance of their maiden victory and her contribution to the historic victory over Australia in the ODI format.

Marizanne Kapp was awarded the Player of the Match for her exceptional all-round performances (75 off 87 balls) with the bat and (3/12) with the ball in her spell of five overs. She played a crucial role in South Africa’s historic triumph over Australia, recusing the visitors with a clutch inning under pressure with the series on the line, scoring a vital half-century, coming into bat with her side struggling at 71/3 in the 16th over of the innings.

Also Read:  Alyssa Healy's 99, Darcie Brown's 5-Wicket Haul stuns South Africa at WACA

After posting a competitive total (229/6) on the board, Marizanne Kapp set the tone up front for the visitors by sending Australia on the back foot by sending skipper Alyssa Healy, Beth Mooney, and Phoebe Litchfield back to the pavilion. The youngsters Ayanda Hlubi (2/45), Eliz-mari Marx (2/22), and Nadine de Klerk (2/26) chipped in with two wickets each. “It obviously helps when you get a wicket like this to bowl on. But they’ve been been brilliant. I feel like they have massive careers ahead of them. For now, it’s big boots to fill. We all know how good Shabi is and she is missed, I’m not gonna lie, she is missed, but it’s good to see different bowlers picking up their hands.” Marizanne Kapp is pleased to see the youngsters stepping up and taking up that responsibility to make an impact, since the retirement of the veteran South African pacer Shabnim Ismail.

(Quotes sourced from EspnCricinfo)

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here