Beth Mooney and Alyssa Healy lead Australia to a win in the T20I series opener

Pacers keep South Africa in check before Beth Mooney guides Australia to a comfortable victory over the visitors in the 1st T20I. Australia led by skipper Alyssa Healy is hosting South Africa for an all-format series that includes a three-match T20I series followed by a three-match ODI series and then a one-off Test match. The series commenced on 27th January 2024 and will conclude on 18th February 2024.

Beth Mooney and Alyssa Healy lead Australia to a win in the T20I series opener. PC: Getty
Beth Mooney and Alyssa Healy lead Australia to a win in the T20I series opener. PC: Getty

The Australian skipper Alyssa Healy won the toss and opted to field first in the 1st T20I. After being inserted to bat first, the South African openers got off to a steady start before Darcie Brown picked up the massive wicket of the opposition skipper Laura Wolvaardt to provide the first breakthrough for Australia. Marizanne Kapp soon followed the South African skipper back to the pavilion. Darcie Brown picked up her 2nd wicket of the day to provide the breakthrough for her side.

Former skipper Sune Luus joined Tazmin Brits at the crease and the duo stitched a crucial 43-run partnership for the 3rd wicket before leg-spinner Georgia Wareham picked up the wicket of Sune Luus to provide the 3rd breakthrough for Australia. The visitors, South Africa eventually ended up with a total of 147/6 in their quota of overs courtesy of a couple of 27-run partnerships for the 4th and the 5th wicket. Tazmin Brits (59 off 54 balls), Sune Luus (19 off 17 balls), and skipper Laura Wolvaardt (16 off 11 balls) were the top performers with the bat for South Africa. Ellyse Perry (2/13) and Darcie Brown (2/20) were the top performers with the ball for Australia.

Also Read:  Alyssa Healy's 99, Darcie Brown's 5-Wicket Haul stuns South Africa at WACA

Chasing a target of 148, the Australian openers got off to a flying start scoring 9 runs an over before Nadine de Klerk picked up the massive wicket of the opposition skipper Alyssa Healy to provide the much-needed for South Africa. Tahlia McGrath joined Beth Mooney at the crease and the duo stitched another crucial 65-run partnership for the 2nd wicket before Marizanne Kapp cleaned up Tahlia McGrath to provide the 2nd breakthrough for South Africa.

Ellyse Perry joined Beth Mooney at the crease and the duo saw their side over the line in a run chase to seal the game by 8 wickets and 5 balls to spare. Beth Mooney (72 off 57 balls), skipper Alyssa Healy (46 off 28 balls), and Tahlia McGrath (24 off 30 balls) were the top performers with the bat for Australia. Nadine de Klerk (1/25) and Marizanne Kapp (1/25) were the top performers with the ball for South Africa.

Opening batter Beth Mooney was awarded the Player of the Match for her match-winning performance (72 off 57 balls) with the bat staying unbeaten right till the end to see her side over the line as the home side took a 1-0 lead in the three-match T20I series against South Africa.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here