South Africa’s ODI and T20I Squad for Australia tour Announced

The rapidly progressing South African women’s team is set to embark on a tour of Australia, marking their first bilateral series since 2016. In this significant tour after 7 years, South Africa is lined up to compete in three One-Day Internationals (ODIs), as many Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is), and a red-ball Test. These matches will unfold across different venues, spanning from January 27, 2024, to February 18, 2024.

South Africa Name White-Ball Squad Ahead Of Australia Tour. PC: Getty
South Africa Name White-Ball Squad Ahead Of Australia Tour. PC: Getty

South Africa is set to make history by playing their first-ever Test against Australia, and notably, it’s also their inaugural T20I bilateral series in Australia. Leading up to this tour, South Africa has unveiled its squad for the white-ball leg, where a few players face exclusion; despite this, it remains a strong 15-member squad.

Laura Wolvaardt is set to lead the squad, featuring key players like Marizanne Kapp, Nadine de Klerk, and Chloé Tryon, who last played during the team’s tour of New Zealand in October 2023. The duo of Eliz-Mari Marx and Ayanda Hlubi, who made their debuts in the recent home series against Bangladesh, have both retained their spots for the upcoming tour.

South Africa’s white-ball squad for Australia tour:

Laura Wolvaardt (C), Anneke Bosch, Tazmin Brits, Nadine de Klerk, Mieke de Ridder, Ayanda Hlubi, Sinalo Jafta, Marizanne Kapp, Ayabonga Khaka, Masabata Klaas, Suné Luus, Eliz-Mari Marx, Nonkululeko Mlaba, Chloé Tryon, Delmi Tucker

Lara Goodall and Tumi Sekhukhune, both struggling, face the axe, along with Annerie Dercksen and Nondumiso Shangase. On a positive note, Ayabonga Khaka and Nadine de Klerk make a welcomed return to the T20I team, marking a step in the right direction.

Also Read:  Match 34: Perth Scorchers v Adelaide Strikers | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

With an exciting blend of seasoned players and emerging talent, South Africa is gearing up for their first-ever triumph against Australia, having faced 15 ODIs and 7 T20Is without a win to date. Despite reaching the T20 World Cup final in 2023 and securing a spot in the 50-over semi-finals in 2022, South Africa, while elevating their cricket, has also experienced unexpected defeats.

The return of spin all-rounder Chloe Tryon from groin injury is a substantial boost to the team, and her individual contributions could potentially turn the tide, securing victories and inspiring the squad towards achieving their historic first against Australia during this tour.

Clinton du Preez, the South African Women Convenor of Selectors, highlighted her return, stating, “Her wealth of experience and match-winning skills will undoubtedly enhance the squad’s value.”

South Africa Women’s Tour of Australia 2024, series schedule:

DATE EVENT VENUE TIME (LOCAL)
27-Jan-24 1st T20I Manuka Oval, Canberra 10:45 AM
28-Jan-24 2nd T20I Manuka Oval, Canberra 10:45 AM
30-Jan-24 3rd T20I Blundstone Arena, Hobart 7:05 PM
3-Feb-24 1st ODI Adelaide Oval 2:10 PM
7-Feb-24 2nd ODI North Sydney Oval 2:40 PM
10-Feb-24 3rd ODI North Sydney Oval 2:40 PM
15-18-Feb-24 One-Off Test WACA Ground, Perth 11:00 AM
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here