Day 1: Kiran Prabhu Navgire scores unbeaten 162 to help Nagaland beat Arunachal Pradesh

The senior women’s T20 tournament started on April 15 in India. Three matches were played on the opening day of the competition. All three matches were played in the Plate Group at Guwahati.

Nagaland v Arunachal Pradesh

Nagaland’s opening batter Kiran Prabhu Navgire kicked off the tournament in style with a blistering 162 not out off just 76 balls, including 10 boundaries and 16 sixes. Navgire set the tone for her team and powered Nagaland to a daunting total of 2-232 in 20 overs against Arunachal Pradesh. Alongside Navgire, Poonam Khemnar was the other top contributor with the bat muscling 59 runs off 37 balls. With the ball for Arunachal Pradesh it was Sarpik Ligu who was the lone wicket-taker. Chasing 233, Arunachal Pradesh could only score 110 runs at the loss of three wickets, losing the match by 122 runs. Opening batter Shivi Yadav top scored with 45 not out off 64 balls, however, could not cope with the required run rate which was more than 11 runs per over from the start of the run chase. For Nagaland, Navgire, Khemnar and Lipokmar Talirenla were the wicket-takers as they picked up one wicket each.

Kiran Prabhu Navgire scores unbeaten 162 to help Nagaland beat Arunachal Pradesh
Kiran Prabhu Navgire scores unbeaten 162 to help Nagaland beat Arunachal Pradesh

Sikkim v Manipur

Batting first, Manipur posted a competitive score of 6-133 in 17 overs, thanks to their opening batter Keisham Kalpana Devi who mustered a brilliant 77 off 51 balls. Loidangton Devi Sanayaima Thokchom was the other contributor with the bat as mustered 30-ball 31. With the ball for Sikkim, it was Pranita Chettri, who was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-21 in her four overs. Chhetri received good support from Purni Maya Guruny who bagged 1-15 in her two overs. In reply, Sikkim were reduced to 9-97 in 17 overs as they fell shy of 36 runs. After a steady 42-run opening partnership between Samayita Roy (27 runs off 18 balls) and Manizha Mumtaz, Sikkim lost their way all of a sudden as they kept losing wickets at regular intervals. Mumtaz top scored with 29 runs off 33 balls. On the other hand, Manipur’s Ningthoujam Monica Devi starred with the ball as she grabbed 3-12 in three overs, including two wickets in one over.

Also Read:  WPL 2024: Best Starting Playing XI for UP Warriorz (UPW)

Pondicherry v Mizoram

It was a low-scoring contest between Pondicherry and Mizoram. Batting first, Mizoram posted a modest score of 3-95 in 20 overs. Opening batter Shweta top-scored with a brilliant 62 off 61 balls, including eight boundaries and a six. However there was not much support from the other batters. On the other hand, for Pondicherry, Sheryl Rozario and Rebecca were the wicket-takers as the duo picked up one wicket each. In reply, Pondicherry made light work of the run chase as they completed the formalities in 17.2 overs, winning the match by seven wickets. Opening batter Bhakti Tamore led the run chase with a 47-ball 39 not out. With the ball, for Mizoram Apurva Bhardwaj was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 2-10 in 3.2 overs.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here