Laura Wolvaardt to lead South Africa for upcoming series against New Zealand

The Proteas are set to face the White Ferns for a 3-match ODI series starting from 24th September and a 5-match T20I series starting from 6th October. Interim Captain Laura Wolvaardt will continue leading the team for the upcoming series.

Laura Wolvaardt. PC: Twitter
Laura Wolvaardt. PC: Twitter

Laura Wolvaardt took the position as an interim as their former captain Sune Luus decided to step down last month. The Proteas got whitewashed in the T20I series against Pakistan under the leadership of Laura. But they were quick to turn the tables as the Proteas defeated Pakistan in the first 2 ODI’s of the series, with 1 match still left. This last match will essentially be a dead rubber.

The selectors have decided to retain the same squad that is currently in Pakistan for the limited-overs series. They have just added Chloe Tryon back to the squad for the White Ferns series. Earlier Chloe Tryon had asked for a ‘leave of absence’ for the Pakistan series.

Women’s Convenor of Selector, Clinton du Preez said, “We are very happy to have Chloe Tryon back within the space and excited to see how she will further improve the squad with her all-round qualities. We go into the New Zealand series on a high and we want to carry the momentum into the tour at home.”

She further added, “It was always going to be very difficult to adapt to the conditions in Pakistan. However, I’m pleased with how the team competed in the T20Is, where they narrowly missed out on winning games. It remained small margins and one can see how the players have learned from their shortcomings and brought it into the ODI format. There are many positives, and one that stands out for me is the shared individual performances of the players.”

Also Read:  3rd T20I: South Africa vs New Zealand | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

In the 3rd ODI in Durban, the Proteas side will be seen wearing black outfits and armbands in support of the extremely important fight against gender-based violence.

The 3-match ODI series will be a part of the ICC Women’s Championship 2022-25. South Africa are currently in the 5th position with 10 points, winning all 5 of their matches.

South Africa women’s squad for tour against New Zealand

Laura Wolvaardt (C), Anneke Bosch, Tazmin Brits, Nadine de Klerk, Mieke de Ridder, Lara Goodall, Sinalo Jafta (WK), Marizanne Kapp, Ayabonga Khaka, Masabata Klaas, Sune Luus, Nonkululeko Mlaba, Tumi Sekhukhune, Nondumiso Shangase, Chloe Tryon, Delmi Tucker

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here