Watch Highlights: 5th T20I – England Continues Domination, Heather Knight Leads the Five-Match Series to Whitewash

New Zealand’s limited-over format series against England concluded with the visitors failing to win any matches. The White Ferns toured England from June 26th to July 17th, with the hosts whitewashing them in the three-match ODI series. New Zealand hoped to bounce back in the five-match T20I series, but the hosts finished their home summer undefeated after beating the visitors by 20 runs in the fifth T20I at Lord’s. They completed a 5-0 sweep over the White Ferns in the five-match T20I series.

Watch Highlights 5th T20I – England Continues Domination, Heather Knight Leads the Five-Match Series to Whitewash
Watch Highlights 5th T20I – England Continues Domination, Heather Knight Leads the Five-Match Series to Whitewash

Highlights from the match:

Fran Jonas 4/22 (New Zealand):

The White Ferns’ spinner Jonas was impressive in the fifth T20I. She provided the first wicket for the visitors, dismissing Dani Wyatt with the first ball of England’s innings. She also struck with the wicket of Maia Bouchier, the first ball of her second over. Left-arm spinner Jonas then dismissed Nat Sciver Brunt to break the 29-run stand for the third wicket between Alice Capsey and Nat Sciver Brunt with a spectacular return catch off her own bowling. The visitors had brief moments throughout the series where they were dominant, but Jonas’ spell was probably the time they were in the driving seat, dismantling the English top order. Her fourth wicket came in the form of Freya Kemp. She also registered her best bowling figures in T20Is after claiming 4 for 22 against England.

Also Read:  The Hundred schedule 2020 - Women's Edition

Heather Knight 46* (England):

It was the English skipper’s knock that helped her side reach a respectable total of 155, with England eventually winning the match by 20 runs. Knight walked in to bat with England 3 down for 57. New Zealand bowlers were threatening, restricting England to 87 for 6. But it was Knight who helped England recover from a batting collapse with a 57-run partnership with Charlie Dean. The partnership brought England back into the game, with Knight remaining unbeaten on 46 off 31 balls, smashing four boundaries and one six with a strike rate of 148. Later, she was awarded Player of the Match for her steady innings.

Amelia Kerr 43 (New Zealand):

Amelia Kerr didn’t have a great outing in the four T20Is she had played, scoring a total of 42 runs. But in the fifth T20I at Lord’s, she regained her form, scoring 43 runs despite being on the losing side. Amelia walked into bat when New Zealand lost their opener Georgia Plimmer with only 13 on the board. She was involved in multiple partnerships, including a 32-run stand. But it was the union between Amelia & Halliday that potentially kept the hopes alive for the visitors before their 40-run stand was broken by Lauren Bell dismissing Brook Halliday. Amelia Kerr smashed three boundaries & one six during her innings of 43 off 36 balls. But post Amelia’s dismissal the visitor’s hopes were buried.

Lauren Bell 3/21 (England)

England’s pacer had the spotlight throughout the series against White ferns and in the fifth T20I at Lords it was Lauren Bell’s three-fer that provided England a strong start while defending 156. Georgia Plimmer was her first victim as she dismissed the New Zealand opener for 8. Her second wicket was crucial which was of Brook Halliday for a score of 25 breaking the 40-run stand between Halliday & Amelia Kerr. Her third victim was Isabella Gaze for 5 after bowling her out. Lauren Bell provided wickets for England at regular intervals finishing with figures of 3 for 21 at an economy of 5.2.

Also Read:  Vintage Danni Wyatt and spinners give England an early lead in the T20I series

Sarah Glenn 8 Wickets (Player of the Series)

The English leg spinner, Sarah Glenn, was named Player of the Series despite not playing in the final match. She was the joint leading wicket-taker with eight wickets in the five-match T20I series, alongside Sophie Ecclestone. Glenn troubled the New Zealand batters throughout the first four T20Is. In the first T20I at Southampton, the leg spinner grabbed a three-fer. In the third T20I, she finished with figures of 1 for 14, and it was the fourth T20I where she truly excelled, taking four wickets for just 19 runs. This exceptional performance earned her the Player of the Match award in the fourth T20I. She finished the series with eight wickets in four matches, maintaining an economy rate of less than five runs per over.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here