Women’s Ashes 2023 Schedule Announced, 5 Day Test Match introduced

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has revealed the schedule for cricket’s most action-packed series, the Ashes, that’s to be played in 2023 in the United Kingdom (UK). A few highlights from the fixture release see a five-day Test match at Trent Bridge and white-ball matches at Lord’s and The Oval.

Women's Ashes 2023 Schedule Announced, 5 Day Test Match introduced. PC: Getty Images
Women’s Ashes 2023 Schedule Announced, 5 Day Test Match introduced. PC: Getty Images

Voices repeatedly were raised for women cricketers to play Test matches over 5 days and for it to finally come to life, there’s a lot less important at the moment. Ashes cricket will be played from the 22nd of June till the 18th of July in 2023 which comprises a Test (5-day), three T20Is and three ODIs.

The series is a multi-format one that will have points to offer which means, a Test victory is worth four points, while the three ODIs and three T20s are worth a couple of points each. The series gets underway on the 22nd with the only Test at Trent Bridge, then the 3 T20I games on the schedule will be played at Edgbaston, The Oval and Lord’s. In the final leg of the series, the 3 ODI games will be played at Bristol, Southampton and Taunton respectively.

WOMEN’S ASHES 2023 SCHEDULE –

DATE EVENT VENUE TIME (LOCAL)
22-June-2023 Only Test Trent Bridge 11:00 AM
01-Jul-2023 1st T20I Edgbaston 6:35 PM
05-Jul-2023 2nd T20I The Oval 6:35 PM
08-Jul-2023 3rd T20I Lord’s 6:35 PM
12-Jul-2023 1st ODI Bristol County Ground 1:00 PM
16-Jul-2023 2nd ODI Ageas Bowl 11:00 AM
18-Jul-2023 3rd ODI County Ground, Taunton 1:00 PM
Also Read:  Can Heather Knight lead England to their Consecutive World Cup Trophy?

English skipper, Heather Knight said, “I’m so happy, I feel like I’ve been banging the drum for five days for a long time, so it’s a special moment. I probably spent most of my career being grateful for what you’re given. When I started out, anything was a bonus, you were just happy to be playing the sport you love for England and not even getting paid, but my eyes have opened a bit more.

“You see the inequalities you’ve gone through and not really realised. Moving forward on an equal footing is a logical progression.”

Peter Roach, Cricket Australia’s Head of Cricket Operations and Scheduling said, “We acknowledge that Boards can select four or five days for women’s Test matches. At this stage, we will continue with four-day Test matches in Australia but may consider a reserve fifth day for Tests significantly affected by the weather.

Clare Connor, ECB’s interim CEO said, “We’re absolutely delighted to be hosting two Ashes series in 2023, as well as hosting Ireland men, New Zealand men and Sri Lanka women. Next summer will be huge for England women and England men. There are few events more special in English sport than a home Ashes series and I know that Heather, Ben, and their teams, will be excited and driven by the challenge of regaining the Ashes.

“I am particularly delighted that we have announced our England men and England women’s fixtures side by side for the first time, meaning that supporters can enter the ballot or register interest for any fixture on the same day. June and July will be very special months for cricket in this country with the buzz of two Ashes series taking place simultaneously.”

Also Read:  "We represent our country, and there is a lot of pressure," Harmanpreet Kaur calls for Sports Psychologist
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here