Smriti Mandhana and Shafali Verma complete 1000 Runs as opener in T20Is

One of India’s most regular feature, Smriti Mandhana, in her sides ongoing series against England, in a must-win, sparked the show with a blistering 79* off 53 which got India to chase down the required total of 143 with complete ease. In the process, she breached and set a few records which we bring to you below.

Smriti Mandhana and Shafali Verma - India's most successful T20I Opening pair. PC: Getty Images
Smriti Mandhana and Shafali Verma – India’s most successful T20I Opening pair. PC: Getty Images

India with 143 to get to in 20 overs, were off to a flying start as Smriti Mandhana got her innings underway with a boundary and followed it with many more in regular succession and Shafali Verma too joined in and took on the English attack. The 5th over saw India have a 19-run over which got India’s total to 49-0. A single straightaway of the first ball of the next over saw India’s openers share a 31-ball-50* run stand and here comes the time for us to share with you a couple of stats.

Most Succesful Opening Pair

India’s opening pair of Smriti Mandhana and Shafali Verma is now the most successful pair for India in T20Is for any wicket and the only pair to score 1000+ runs.

1097* – Smriti Mandhana & Shafali Verma
990 – Smriti Mandhana & Mithali Raj
853 – Harmanpreet Kaur & Mithali Raj

Most Runs by an Indian Opening Pair in Women’s T20Is

Smriti Mandhana scored unbeaten 79 Runs against England in 2nd T20I. PC: Getty Images
Smriti Mandhana scored unbeaten 79 Runs against England in 2nd T20I. PC: Getty Images

The pair of Smriti Mandhana and Shafali Verma now share the most runs by an Indian pair in women’s T20Is at away venues with 688 runs and the most partnership stands by an Indian pair outside India of 6 and even at both, home and away again top it among Indians with an 8.

Also Read:  Smriti Mandhana's unbeaten 79 helped India level T20I series 1-1 against England

A continuation from where we left, later in the same over Shafali Verma departed on 20(17) and India’s 55-run opening stand had curtains drawn by Sophie Ecclestone. Smriti Mandhana then was batting unbeaten on 33(20) and it only was a boundary more that Smriti Mandhana added as England with tighter lines were looking for a comeback. Smriti Mandhana then got the singles in play and quietly got to her 50* off 36 balls and that’s given us a reason to share a stat.

Smriti Mandhana equals Mithali Raj’s T20I Fifty Record

The half-century Smriti Mandhana got to was her 17th in T20I cricket and has equally the record to Mithali Raj who’s now retired which will soon have Smriti Mandhana lead the list of Indians with most 50+ scores in T20I’s. Next on the list is Harmanpreet Kaur with 9.

We again start from where we left, after quietly reaching to her 50*, it then was time to switch gears and Smriti Mandhana did just that. After having got a couple away to the fence, she topped the show with 3 boundaries off 5 balls which saw a couple of successive ones guide India to victory in the 17th over and Smriti Mandhana from 50*(36) finished unbeaten on 79(53) and that brings us to share to you a final few set of stats.

Records made by Smriti Mandhana during her 79* off 53 Balls in 2nd T20I against England

Smriti Mandhana. PC: Getty Images
Smriti Mandhana. PC: Getty Images

• The unbeaten knock of 79 was Smriti Mandhana’s 10th in T20I cricket while chasing and that’s the most for any Indian in women’s cricket.
  • The knock now sees Smriti Mandhana with the most 50+ scores against England in T20Is across both men’s and women’s cricket.
  • The 79* now has Smriti Mandhana hold the record for most (10) 50+ scores at away venues in women’s cricket. On the list follow Stafanie Taylor (9), Mithali Raj (6), Deandra Dottin (6) and Danni Wyatt (6).
  • She holds the record for the second highest individual score in England for India across both men’s and women’s cricket and leads the chart in women’s cricket with her 79*. She only breached her previous best scores of 76 and 70 to get to this feat.
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here