“We need a middle-order that can get us 250,” says India Head Coach Ramesh Powar

On Wednesday, the curtains were drawn on the multi-format series between India and England that saw the two teams locking horns against each other in a one-off Test, three ODIs, and as many T20Is. India managed to draw the Test, however, the Women in Blue lost 1-2 in the ODI and T20I series.

England win the multi-format series against India Women. PC: Twitter
England wins the multi-format series against India Women. PC: Twitter

Indian women’s cricket team coach Ramesh Powar emphasized on an “ideological change” that is needed for the team to transform into a “fearless unit” in the limited-overs format as he reflected on the back-to-back series defeats to England.

The former India off-spinner expressed that there is an ardent need for a shift in mindset. He hinted at introducing some fresh middle-order batters who can be “moulded” as per team ethos. At present, Punam Raut, Harmanpreet Kaur, Deepti Sharma and Taniya Bhatia, form the middle order, with ODI skipper Mithali Raj at number 4.

After the end of the India-England series, Powar said, “Mithali is batting well but we need support from at least one more batter to put pressure on opponents in middle order after Powerplays. We have to be fearless. I can’t force them in the first series. They have been playing with some ideology and we can’t make drastic changes. We have to assess what suits them. To get them out of it (current slow batting in middle overs) (we have to) convince them and to do that, it takes a lot of communication. Fearless is how modern cricket will be played.”

Also Read:  Jaya Sharma and Suman Sharma joins Female Cricket Live to Cover India Women's tour of England

India snatch a victory against England in 2nd T20I at Hove
India snatch a victory against England in 2nd T20I at Hove

He also admitted that moulding efforts haven’t worked so far. “There are two ways. Either mould them (current lot) or draft in other middle-order players to up the ante. As simple as that. This time we tried a few combinations and it didn’t work out and going forward, we might try something new, bring new players, might mould them,” he said.

With all eyes on the 50-over World Cup that will be played in New Zealand in March, Powar indicated that he would try to manage with the available resources.

“Till the World Cup, we need to find a way to get a middle order where we can say that they can surely get us 250. It’s up to all the stakeholders. The captain, the vice captain, selectors and myself, we will discuss these things. We need to enhance the fast bowling department. We are only looking at Jhulan to perform. There has to be some support for her,” he averred.

India’s T20I captain Harmanpreet Kaur who has been struggling to find some form was finally back among runs in the last two T20Is. Powar expressed, “It is pleasing for everyone. Her scoring runs matter to each and everybody. The way she batted, we can see that flair and going forward, we will see a different Harmanpreet. In the last two innings, she looked like the old Harman. She will now play The Hundred and get game time and that’s what we like as a team. Game time. That’s where England was ahead and we lacked. They played domestic cricket and we didn’t have too many practice games.”

Also Read:  "I was not surprised by the shot selection Shafali made when she was on 96," says Suman Sharma

This article is the summary of the original article published on ESPN Cricinfo

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here