England captain Heather Knight looks forward to hosting a strong Indian side

England’s women’s cricket team captain Heather Knight considers India to be a strong opposition and she reckons that the India eves will be “hard to beat” in the upcoming multi-format series, which will see one Test, three ODIs and as many T20Is starting June 16. A win in the Test will earn four points for the team and a draw would fetch two points. Every win in the ODI and T20I will be rewarded with two points.

Heather Knight. PC: Getty Images
Heather Knight. PC: Getty Images

In the world of women’s cricket, there is hardly any Test cricket being played apart from the lone exception of the Ashes Test in which Australia and England play a one-off game every 2 years. This India-England Test is being looked upon with much anticipation as the two sides played the longest format against each other way back in 2014. There is seldom any doubt that there is a lot of excitement in both the camps ahead of the Test match.

Captain Mithali Raj, Jhulan Goswami and Karuna Jain were the only three India players in the line-up who'd played a Test before
Captain Mithali Raj, Jhulan Goswami and Karuna Jain were the only three India players in the line-up who’d played a Test before. PC: Getty Images

“We always want to put on a show, because we haven’t had fans in there for so long. India are a very strong side and naturally there will be a contest there and they’re going to be hard to beat so I guess that will hopefully be fun to watch. Starting against India, a very strong side, a team that’s been really successful over the last few years and they’re going to be a really big test for us. We’ve got a huge year next year and the start of that development and getting the girls in the right place, getting the team in the right place and getting the right people in the right positions is going to be really clear in our preparations this summer obviously going into next year. It is no secret that this Test is a huge part of our preparation going into the Ashes Test match away from home,” Knight was quoted as saying in Cribuzz.com.

Also Read:  1st ODI - Amy Satterthwaite's 79 in vain as England beat New Zealand by 30 Runs

She concluded, “This is the first game of the multi-format point system that we are going to be playing for this India series. We’re going to be doing as much as we can to win. Sometimes it’s tricky when you play Test cricket so rarely to know exactly what to do in that situation, we haven’t been put regularly in those situations, we don’t play any multi-inning cricket domestically, we are finding our feet a little bit as we go. We’ll always look to, if we can, if the opportunity is there to go out and win.”

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram throughout the series for all the latest updates.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here