India/Australia Women’s Series Trophy will be a Points-Based Tournament

One of the most awaited series of this year is about to commence on 21st September at the Great Barrier Reef Arena between the Australian and Indian Women squads. The multi-format series consisting of 3 ODIs, a day-night Test, and 3T20Is will also feature a new sparkling trophy.

India Women vs Australia Women 2021 in Queensland
India Women vs Australia Women 2021 in Queensland

The series will have a point-based system, the same as the women’s Ashes, with two points for each limited-over match won and four points on winning the Test. In case of a draw or tied Test, the points will be split between the two teams. This is the first time Australia is playing against a country other than England in a multi-format series. There is no current holder of the new trophy. Hence, it will be shared if the series ends with a tied score of eight points won by both teams.

Some players from both sides shared their views on this series. Alyssa Healy hoped that this would not just be a one-time series and would continue from then on. She wished that the ‘India/Australia Women’s Series Trophy’ could become an endless prize just like the men’s Border-Gavaskar Trophy if the multi-format series is continued in the future between the nations. Currently, there is no confirmation regarding future tours for women apart from the ODI World Cup in the next year but, Healy hopes for a Test in India soon.

Healy stated at Fox Cricket’s series launch, “I think now that the conversations are being had and we can see that it can work, why not? I love that it’s been spoken about. I wouldn’t say it’s going to be the new norm, but imagine the Kiwis standing up and saying ‘we’d be really interested in playing one of these multi-format series.”

“These multi-format series are really fun to be a part of and the point structure is just a whole other ball game. I never thought we’d have two Tests in one summer….to be able to play against India and then England in the Ashes is really exciting. My baggy Green is tucked nicely in my backpack and hopefully, I can pull it on my head twice.”

Healy further expressed her love and support for Test Cricket, “Test matches are so much more special for us simply because we don’t play a lot of them and it is the pinnacle. It’s great that the conversations are being had and we’d love to see a few more nations. The boys have designated Test match time slots every summer. I look at the Boxing Day Test. I would love to see the same thing happen for us every summer. Imagine November 1, Australia are playing a pink-ball Test at North Sydney Oval against whichever the opposition might be.”

India’s opener Smriti Mandhana also expressed her support for this series after getting an experience against England in June and July. The English team won the series with a 10-6 lead but India had the chance of turning the tables until the final T20I of the series.

Also Read:  Smriti Mandhana answers the most Googled Questions about her

At the Fox Cricket event, Mandhana said, “With multi-format every game is important. So going into the last T20 we still had a chance, so I love the format. Playing a Test match is the dream for every cricketer.

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here