Women in Blue will play their first Day-Night Test against Australia in September

When the Indian women’s cricket team will tour Australia in September this year, they will play their first-ever day-night (pink ball) Tests at the WACA. The one-off Test will be played from September 30 to October 3. Perth, which is the venue for the Test has not yet hosted a day-night game as yet, so it will be a maiden pink-ball Test for the ground as well.

Day Night Test Match between India Women and Australia Women
Day-Night Test Match between India Women and Australia Women

The India-Australia pink ball Test will be only the second such match to be held in the history of women’s cricket with the first one being played between Australia and England at Sydney in November 2017. The match ended in a draw. It will be interesting to see if the second day-night Test produces a result, along with some exciting contests.

India and Australia last played a Test match 15 years back in 2006. It was a lopsided affair as the home team thrashed the visitors by an innings and four runs. Lisa Sthalekar was the Player of the Match for her all-around effort which included 72 runs with the bat and five wickets with the ball.

“It will be a challenge preparing for both England and Australia Tests since the women don’t play with the red ball even in the domestic circuit. However the good thing is that women are getting to play Tests,” a former India player said.

“The pink ball game in Australia will be a tougher challenge as the girls have never played with that ball but I am sure they will get to prepare well for it. A few practice games will also be needed,” she added.

Also Read:  Diana Edulji asks ICC to consider an Experienced Panel of Umpires for Women’s Cricket

Pink Ball Test in Women's Cricket.
Pink Ball Test in Women’s Cricket.

Apart from England and Australia, no other women’s teams play Test cricket on a regular basis. Thanks to the Ashes, these two teams get to play one Test in every Ashes’ series. Going forward, it is expected that India will also be seen playing the longest format against the two teams.

“As players, we’ve said for a long time that we’d love to play more Test matches,” Australia captain Meg Lanning said on Wednesday. The Australia captain added, “It’s an exciting prospect and I know (India) are heading over to England to play a Test match pretty soon so it shows they’re up for the challenge and really willing to play that format.”

Source: PTI

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here