“I was waiting for the past 12 to 15 years.” Asha Sobhana on her India debut

Hard work and unwavering belief pays off as Asha Sobhana creates history on her India debut. The 33-year-old leg-spinner Asha Sobhana rose to the big stage when she was picked up by the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the inaugural edition of the Women’s Premier League in 2023. A scouting masterstroke pulled off by the franchise. She picked up five wickets in five innings in the inaugural edition.

"I was waiting for the past 12 to 15 years.” Asha Sobhana on her India debut
“I was waiting for the past 12 to 15 years.” Asha Sobhana on her India debut

The franchise showed faith and retained her for the 2nd edition of the WPL. She repaid the faith shown in her by the RCB management. She ended the 2nd season as the joint 2nd-highest wicket-taker alongside Sophie Molineux with 12 wickets to her name at an average of 15.41 and an economy of 7.11 in 10 innings. She played a crucial role in helping RCB clinch their maiden trophy in franchise cricket.

“It was an amazing journey, playing under Smriti in WPL. Coming along with Smriti Mandhana and Harry (Harmanpreet Kaur) Paaji, the most experienced player at the moment, it’s an amazing feeling. At one point in time, I thought I could never make it to the national side. But WPL gave us that opportunity and showed us that everybody can dream, and dream is not that far, and we can always achieve it. So WPL changed my life.” Asha Sobhana speaks about playing in the WPL and the platform it provided for the players to showcase their talent.

Courtesy of her outstanding performances with the ball, she earned a call-up to the national side for their tour to Bangladesh for a five-match T20I series that commenced on 28th April 2024 and will conclude on 9th May 2024. She finally made her well-earned debut on 6th May 2024 in the 4th T20I of the series. She became the oldest player in women’s cricket to make her T20I debut for India at the age of 33 years and 51 days.

Also Read:  Stafanie Taylor ruled out of remainder T20I series against India due to an injury

“I was feeling so blessed to be a part of my nation, the Indian team. This was everything, I was waiting for, for the past 12 to 15 years. 2012 was the year when I came to the probables of India. From there to 2024, it’s a long journey for me, and getting an India cap, feeling grateful.” Asha Sobhana speaks about her much-awaited India debut.

She had a memorable debut as she returned with brilliant match figures (3-0-18-2) with the ball in her spell. The moment became even more special and significant as it was also skipper Harmanpreet Kaur’s 300th international appearance.

(Quotes sourced via Twitter/Espncricinfo)

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here