Sharmin Akhter Supta,Salma Khatun, Marufa Akter, Disha Biswas to feature in ODI series against India

On 13th July 2023 (Thursday), Bangladesh Cricket Board announced the squad for the upcoming Bangladesh vs India ODI series. This will be a 3-match series played between the two sides at the famous Sher-E-Bangla National Cricket Stadium located in the capital city of Bangladesh, Dhaka.

Bangladesh Women's Cricket team. PC: Getty Images
Bangladesh Women’s Cricket team. PC: Getty Images

The 1st ODI is set to take place on 16th July (Sunday) followed by the next match on 19th July (Wednesday) and the last being played on 22nd July (Saturday). BCB announced a 17-member squad for the series which included the inclusion of opening batter Sharmin Akhter Supta who last played an international match in December 2022.

They also included 18-year-old Fast bowler, Marufa Akter who last played an ODI match in December 2022 against New Zealand Women. They also recalled veteran Salma Khatun back in the ODI setup after more than 6 months.

Meanwhile, Disha Biswas, who played in the U19 World Cup this year, is all set to feature for Bangladesh Women for the first time. Another player part of that U19 setup, a right-arm leg spinner, Rabeya Khan is also likely to be involved in the series.

Bangladesh will be hoping their star batter, Shamima Sultana will continue where she left off in the last T20I against India. Earlier in the series she was troubled by Minnu Mani, but in the last match, her knock ensured Bangladesh atleast get a consolation win in the series. They would be hoping their Captain, Niger Sultana Joty will have a decent series with the bat. Niger Sultana Joty was exceptional behind the stumps – involved in a total 4 of dismissals throughout the T20I series.

Also Read:  Bangladesh records a Historic Maiden ODI victory against India

Jahanara Alam, a right-arm fast bowler, was not picked in the squad for the series. It was a bit of a surprising decision as her stats are very decent in this format of the game and given that she was also involved in the last ODI Bangladesh played.

BCB included one of Bangladesh’s most senior players, Fargana Hoque, a right-handed top-order player. She was excluded from the T20I side, which was one of the shocking decisions by the selectors. She last played an ODI match for Bangladesh against Sri Lanka in May.

Lata Mondol also returns to the squad after not being selected for the T20I series against India. They also excluded opener Shathi Rani from the squad, she opened for Bangladesh in all 3 T20I’s too.

Bangladesh would be hoping to avenge the series loss in T20I and would hope for a better performance from everyone in the squad in the upcoming series.

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here