Bahrain Women’s Team Create History, Deepika Rasangika scored 161 off just 66 Balls

Bahrain Women’s team made history in the GCC Women’s T20 Championship 2022 on Tuesday as they scored a massive 318 in 20 overs against Saudi Arabia. This is the highest total in T20I cricket history (both men and women combined).

Bahrain Women’s Team Create History, Deepika Rasangika scored 161 off just 66 Balls . PC: facebook
Bahrain Women’s Team Create History, Deepika Rasangika scored 161 off just 66 Balls . PC: facebook

No.3 batter Deepika Rasangika scored an unbeaten 161 of 66 balls with 31 boundaries becoming the first woman to score 150+ in a T20 match. Captain Tharanga Gajanayake scored an unbeaten 94 in 56 balls with 17 boundaries. Tharanga and Deepika had a 255 run partnership for the 2nd wicket.

Saudi Arabia was able to score just 49 runs in 20 overs and lost 8 wickets. Deepika Rasangika took 3 for 9 in 4 overs. Pavitra Shetty and Sachini Jayasinghe took 2 for 6 and 2 for 12 respectively. Bahrain won the match by a huge margin of 269 runs.

This was the first victory for Bahrain women’s team in this tournament and International Cricket. Deepika Rasangika was adjured the player of the match award for her 161* with the bat and 3 wickets with the ball. She becomes the first cricketer in the T20s to score 150+ runs and take 3+ wickets in World Cricket history.

This is a huge confidence booster for the women of Bahrain as they’ve been making their cricket debut for the very first time in this GCC Women’s T20 Championship. Earlier in the tournament, Bahrain women had lost to Oman by 96 runs in their first-ever international cricket match on Sunday and against Qatar by just 4 runs on Monday.

Also Read:  In-depth analysis of past women's world cup performances - Part 2

The GCC Women’s T20 Championship is a 6 team tournament taking place in Oman from March 20th – 27th. Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, and hosts Oman are the 6 teams participating in the tournament.

Bahrain will play their next match against Kuwait on Friday, March 25th at Al Amerat, Oman.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

Dhanush Lavanya

I’m a Content Writer, Podcaster and Presenter. I’ve written 100+ articles across various sports and produced 50+ Podcast episodes. You can find my podcast “The Off Stump” on Spotify.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here