The countdown has begun!!!
Only a few hours from now, the grand finale of the 2017 edition of ICC Women’s World Cup will be underway. This is the event for which, all of us have been wishing for the past one month.
The venue for this mega event is none other than The Great LORD’S Cricket ground. This stadium with highest seating capacity is undoubtedly expected to be fully packed as hosts England will take on India Women in the title clash.
First of all, let’s take a quick recap of the glorious journey of both the finalists so far in the tournament :-
● Lost their opening match against India Women
● English team is on winning spree since then with a couple of thriller wins in their kitty
● Stood as table toppers after group stage matches
● Won an exciting match against South Africa Women in the semifinal to reach final
● Won four group stage matches in a row
● Lost their way against SA and Australia
● Regained the momentum through a fantastic win over New Zealand in their last group match
● Outclassed defending champions Australia in the semifinal to book their berth in the final
Now let’s take a look at the key players of both the teams one by one:-
● All rounder Natalie Sciver
● Opener Sarah Taylor
● Captain Heather Knight
● Wicket taker Anya Shrubsole
● Fran Wilson (middle order batter)
● Opener Smriti Mandhana (made 90 against England in opening fixture)
● Record maker and record breaker Mithali Raj
● All-rounder Deepti Sharma
● Explosive Harmanpreet Kaur (her inclusion in playing XI doubtful due to injury in last match)
● Veda Krishnamurthy (powerpacked batting and best in fielding)
● Legandary Jhulan Goswami
● Pacer Shikha Pandey
● Spinner Rajeshwari Gayakwad
After winning against NZ, Indian skipper Mithali Raj said, “Girls realised the importance of winning this world cup as it’s may be the last WC for a couple of us; and therefore we could win this game”
Earlier before the start of World Cup, she said, “Winning the World Cup would certainly be a turning point for Women’s cricket in India”
Women in Blue have already won millions of hearts across the globe through their commendable performance and are only one step away from creating a history.
It is only the second time when India Women have reached the finals of Women’s World Cup and the Queen of Records, Mithali Raj has become the first player to lead India in two World Cup finals, a feat that could not be acheived even by her man counterpart M.S.Dhoni, the most successful captain of Indian men’s team.
Almost all the Men star cricketers have wished this team to win this World Cup. Gautam Ganbhir while extending his wishes said, “Winning this Women’s World Cup would be even more special than the 2011 glory.”
All of a sudden, Twitter and Facebook are seen flooded with heroics of the Women brigade and wishes for them are pouring in from everywhere. So much so, that one of the leading websites did blunder by declaring India as winners much before the match.
A record 7.5 lakh Indians watched the Indian batting innings during the semifinals. With the increased media support and coverage, this final game will be telecasted live on Star Sports and Hotstar.
Tomorrow is gonna be a Super se bhi upper wala Sunday. So folks, book your time and watch the history in making.
‘Gully’ cricket player and close observer of Indian Cricket team and it’s matches. Straight forward and still socially admirable personality. Strong belief in teamwork and possess high leadership skills.