The much awaited super – Saturday is here. Last four games of group stage are lined up for today.
2017 edition of Women’s World Cup has got three of the semi finalists and now all the eyes are focused that who will join them as fourth team.
The contest for 4th semi finalist is between India Women and NZ women and for them, today’s game is a virtual quarter final clash. Win the game and join the last four or it’s the end of the road.
India and NZ are meeting for the 2nd time in this tournament as they have faced each other in warm-up game at County Ground, Derby. NZ women won that match by 7 wickets. The interesting fact is that they are meeting at the same venue for the second time in this world cup.
Factors which contributed to NZ women’s win in warm up match are as follows:-
1. Indian batting line up collapsed
2. Punam Raut, Mithali Raj and Mona Meshram got some start but failed to convert it into a considerable innings
3. NZ bowlers, Anna Peterson, Erin Bermingham and Hannah Rowe troubled the Indian batters the most
4. Shikha Pandey and Deepti Sharma were most expensive while bowling
5. Only Punam Yadav was able to put pressure on the NZ batters to some extend.
Also to be noted, that NZ captain Amelia Kerr used 7 bowlers including herself and none of them went wicket less. It clearly shows how India batters were disturbed by the effective rotation of NZ bowlers.
Out of 46 international ODIs played between these two, India have won on 17 occasions, lost 28 matches and 1 game was tied up. This might give you an impression that India has some fair chances of beating NZ in today’s game.
But wait!!! Check out this!!!
Both these teams have met ten times in Women’s World Cup till date and India Women have managed to win only 1 game in 2005 WC semi final clash.
By far, 2005 WC has been the best for Indians. On the other hand, NZ women have reached WC final many times. In 2013, India and NZ didn’t met as India Women made an early exit and NZ finished 4th after losing 3rd place match to England.
Currently, NZ women are placed at 5th spot in the points table just behind India because one of their group matches against SA was abandoned due to rain.
Some of the key players of NZ are:-
1. New Zealand skipper Amelia Kerr – has bowled brilliantly so far. Along with taking wickets in every match, she has been very economical
2. Amy Satterthwaite has been giving many all-round performances these days
3. Opener Suzie Bates is in good form and also balls on some occasions.
4. Erin Bermingham, mainly bowler, can also bat down the line, providing the required depth to the Kiwis’ batting line up
5. Against India, Anna Peterson led the bowling attack in the warm up match
6. Holly Huddleston took first 5 wicket haul in the very first match of this world cup
For India, a lot of responsibility will lie on the shoulders of in-form opener Punam Raut, No. 3 batter Deepti Sharma, Indian captain Mithali Raj, Jhulan Goswami and Punam Yadav in the bowling department.
The poor show of Smriti Mandhana is a matter of concern for the team but it’s the best chance for the opener to proof herself.
India has to adopt aggressive and attacking approach rather than defensive to win this game.
There is no scope of lazy fielding efforts and Indian fielders have to push themselves to some extra extend to capitalize all the opportunities.
The match begins at 3PM along with three other matches being played simultaneously at different venues and will be live on star sports and hotstar.
‘Gully’ cricket player and close observer of Indian Cricket team and it’s matches. Straight forward and still socially admirable personality. Strong belief in teamwork and possess high leadership skills.