“Playing a tournament like Fairbreak has been a matter of privilege,” says Katey Martin

The Fairbreak Global Invitational Tournament has been a cultural melting pot, thanks to the kind of participation it has garnered. Six teams, 90 players, 35 countries, 19 matches, and one city sum up this exciting tournament. The tournament kick-started on May 4 and is heading towards the business end. To get more insights about this exciting competition and how the players have prepared for it, Female Cricket got in touch with New Zealand’s Katey Martin, who will be keeping the wickets for one of the teams, Tornadoes.

Katey Martin is part of team Warriors in FairBreak 2022. PC: Twitter
Katey Martin is part of team Tornadoes in FairBreak 2022. PC: Twitter

The veteran wicket-keeper bat from New Zealand, who has been enjoying her time in Dubai playing the tournament, said, “It has been hotter in Dubai than in New Zealand, so I am enjoying the heat here. Also, we have a good team with some pretty cool characters. We have players from different countries across the world. Knowing them and understanding their backgrounds have been overwhelming, but I am soaking it. Hanging out with them has been fun. Playing a tournament like Fairbreak has been a matter of privilege, and I am honored to have been invited to feature in this competition.”

Tornadoes have been led by West Indies’ captain Stafanie Taylor and have many star players like Sophie Devine, Sune Luus, and Diana Baig, to name a few. Talking about Pakistan’s Diana Baig, the 37-year-old averred, “Diana is a great athlete. We were doing some big-hitting the other day, and Diana hit it further than Sophie Devine. We have started calling her mini Sophie Devine since then. Apart from her on-field heroics, she is amazing off the field. She is a good singer, very cheeky, and a smart person. She is a complete entertainer.”

Also Read:  Schedule and Timings of FairBreak Invitational 2022 Tournament

Katey Martin, Sita Rana Magar and Suzie Bates. PC: vishalyadavgcc / Twitter
Katey Martin, Sita Rana Magar and Suzie Bates. PC: Twitter

Apart from Baig, Martin also had a chance to interact with Theertha Satish, a wicket-keeper batter from UAE who plays for the Falcons in the Fairbreak tournament. Martin stated, “I had a chat with Theertha. She is a wicket-keeper in my best mate, Suzie’s team. She is a big hitter too, and I enjoyed talking to her.”

Having played international cricket for White Ferns since 2003, Martin has a wealth of experience. In a tournament like this, where there are many players from associate countries, the veteran player would like to share her knowledge and experience. She said, “I have had conversations with my teammates and players from other teams about tactics, field settings, power-hitting, and foot movements. I hope that the other players benefit from my knowledge and experience.”

Before signing off, Martin was asked whom she looked up to as role models, to which she answered, “Back then, we didn’t have too many female wicket-keepers in New Zealand. I looked up to Ian Healy and Brendon McCullum. I watched a lot of Ian Healy while growing up. On the other hand, with regards to Brendon, we played for the same club. So it was always nice to see him from close quarters. I liked his style and the energy with which he kept wickets.”

To get all the latest updates on women’s cricket, follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  Match 1: Falcons v Warriors Women | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here