“I was a little nervous & excited, I didn’t get sleep,” says Shreyanka Patil on her dream debut

The Indian women’s team is hosting England for a limited-overs series that includes a three-match T20I series followed by a one-off Test Match. The series got underway on 6th December 2023. The home side picked a fresh squad that includes many young talented players especially in the bowling department alongside the invaluable experience in the batting department of the likes of Smriti Mandhana, Harmanpreet Kaur, Jemimah Rodrigues, Deepti Sharma, etc.

Shreyanka Patil receives her India cap. PC: BCCI Women
Shreyanka Patil receives her India cap. PC: BCCI Women

The three uncapped players from the T20I squad for the three-match T20I series are Shreyanka Patil, Saika Ishaque, and Mannat Kashyap. The left-arm spinner Saika Ishaque was picked up by Mumbai Indians in the Inaugural edition of the WPL and was one of the find of the season alongside the 21-year-old young spin bowling sensation Shreyanka Patil who represented RCB in the inaugural edition of the WPL received their debut caps for India in the first T20I against England.

The 21-year-old off-spinner Shreyanka Patil had a decent outing with the ball on her debut, returning with the match figures (2/44) in her spell. One of the most impressive qualities about her was her ability to bounce back after being taken to the cleaners. However, India ended up on the losing side as they fell short by 38 runs, chasing a massive target of 198.

“It (WPL) did help me personally playing against Harry di (Harmanpreet Kaur), Smriti Mandhana, and Jemimah (Rodrigues). I think that was the start for me and to carry the momentum here was a good achievement. It did help me to adjust under lights, and bowling under pressure. Now I feel, this is where I belong and I am enjoying it.” Shreyanka Patil speaks about her valuable experience of playing in the Inaugural edition of the Women’s Premier League, playing a crucial role in helping her adapt to the conditions of handling the pressure of playing at the international level.

Shreyanka Patil was recently a part of the India A squad that took on England A for a three-match T20 series. She picked up 5 wickets in three innings at an impressive average of 12.20. Her best performance with the ball for India A in the recent series came on 3rd December 2023 in the third T20 against England A, when she returned with the match figures of (4-1-13-2).

Also Read:  Which players have earned their maiden India call-up for England T20Is?

She became the first Indian player to be a part of the Women’s Caribbean Premier League was she represented the Guyana Amazon Warriors and made her debut for the franchise against the Barbados Royals on 31st August 2023. She was the leading wicket-taker of the tournament with 9 wickets to her name in 5 innings at an impressive average of 11.66. She also played a pivotal role in helping the India A side clinch the Emerging Women’s Asia Cup title in June, earlier this year. She was named the Player of the Tournament for her exceptional performance with the ball throughout the tournament as she picked up 9 wickets with the ball in just a couple of innings. Her best performances in the tournament with the ball came against Hong Kong (3-1-2-5) and against Bangladesh (4-0-13-4) in the final.

Source: PTI

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here